Highlights of the day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
March 30th 2006
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

First off -- thank you so much to all our friends and family for visiting our blog and commenting on our experiences! We love reading them everyday!

Excitng news of the day:
1. Courtney and Amybeth met a very interesting couple at the soup kitchen. Vincent and Pat -- they were married for 23 years and have been divorced for 30 and just recently reconnected. They are so adorable! He reminds me so much of my dad -- tough guy exterior but a big soft heart! They brought Coutney and I po' boy sandwhiches for dinner and also some decals and a New Orleans tee shirt...it was so touching that they even thought of us to bring us gifts when they gave us the greater gift of sharing their story!

2. Rick G., Rick B., Eder, Ramon, Bill, Victor, Traci, Maggie (California girl) chose to stay after the work day ended to work on their house. Their goal was to finish the house today and they would have but they helped the owner of the previous house look for a ceramic cross. But nonetheless they are all amazing for foregoing their evening of rest to work on this house after all other volunteers had left the site.

3. It's 9:41 pm and half the crew is in bed sleeping and the other half are plaling football on gravel. Ya gotta love 'em!

4. Marge -- we did take the red van into a shop (luckily we found one open) to have the tires rotated and balanced on Rick Green's advice so we'll be able to drive it home in tip top condition.

5. Black 11 team (named by Habitat) led by Susan and Rick Green bought flowers and a pot at the Walmart last night (read Courntey's entry to understand the ferry) to have the team autograph and leave for Bill and Alma as a Welcome Back Home gift. They will bring it to them tomorrow when they stop by to pick up the radio they gave them to enjoy tunes while they work....it makes all the difference.

6. Ramon is 5 for 5 on falling. He fell agian tonight while playing basketball! Going too fast during a lay-up. But no worries - if you know Ramon you know he'sstill smiling!

Signing off --- Susan and Amybeth

Advertisement



31st March 2006

You're doing some really great work!!!!
Hello everyone! I just got caught up on the journals. I'm beginning to wish I was there with all of you to do this gratifying work. I saw the photo of Alma-I can't image looking at my life on a table and all around me in dismay. If there is anything that I can do to help her or anything we can send her...just ask! It sounds like you are all blessed with the people who have crossed your path too! Also, Vicent and Pat sound like an interesting couple who found their way back to each other and are sharing a truly meaningful life-what an inspiration they must be. I'm praying for you guys everyday and for the strength that you need to do this work. Enjoy another great day!!!
31st March 2006

Re: Highlights of the Day
Hi ALL! You're almost home!!!!! Some pretty interesting news today! How cool is that that the team stayed to finish their house and some are playing sports at nearly 10 at night. I know you all are going to come back, in some way, a different person. Ramon, you don't surprise me with the fallings! If you try and say you don't feel good for work next week, I'm going to have to verify that with Amybeth and your tripmates! Pretty cool about the ferry ride, Courtney, but it's sad to know that going on the ferry shows how different the disaster site is from regular cities. All in all, I can't wait to see you all! Weather in Chicago was really nice yesterday, 70 degrees, and that was a nice relief. You should be arriving back into the mid-50's. Keep me posted. I check twice a day! Katie P.S. Good think you have Rick Green on the trip for automotive advice. I feel two times safer! :)
1st April 2006

Coming Home to Elgin....
Your experiences shared will last a lifetime. Your friendships will continue indefinitely. You may not be ready to leave. However, your Cheerleaders in Illinois are anxiously waiting to WELCOME our HEROES HOME!! We pray this day will bring you additional awesome experiences. Our prayers are with you for a healthy and safe journey home. Here's to a Gathering of us all when the dust settles. WE would love to share your tales from the front. God Bless you!

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb