Day after Mardi Gras


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 10th 2005
Published: February 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor.
--Unknown




February 10, Thursday. Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Booobbbb…….(Just be glad you don’t have to hear me sing!) After the birthday boy opened his presents, we were on our way to New Orleans. The morning portion of the tour included a drive complete with narration from one end of town to the other. Meanwhile we were making notes on where we wanted to return on foot. The City Park in New Orleans was a surprise. It is huge, and has many wonderful attractions, however it is a good distance from the heart of downtown.
Our first stop on foot was to get a coffee and beignet (a French donut-no hole with lots of powered sugar). Our second stop was the National Park Jean Lafitte where Bob got his stamp for the passbook. We then walked the flea market and made some purchases. One is suppose to bargain, I don’t do that well. We made our way to the General Market for a muffulletta, that we shared. It is a sandwich on a round roll with salamis, cheese, and an olive spread, quite yummy, so much for dieting. We wandered around the French Quarter in and out of shops and saw the remains of the carnival. Beads were everywhere, in trees, on balconies, even on vehicles, this is one party city, glad we missed the chaos. By 2:30, we boarded the paddleboat for the rest of our tour, and saw the city from the muddy Mississippi River. The weather was cool and windy with bright sunshine, just wonderful for walking and touring, although a bit cool on the water. We asked for some recommendations for a nice birthday Cajun dinner for “Mr. Bob”, the name Gumbo Shop kept coming up. So we tried it and were not disappointed, unfortunately they did not have a candle for the bread pudding, alas!
Our next experience after walking some more was a bus ride back to Jude. We figured out the bus line and got our transfers. Having started my teaching career in Newark after the riots in 1969, it still felt strange being the only white folks on the crowded bus. All the people we met were friendly and polite.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Railiings Railiings
Railiings

The iron railing are something to see
Coffee and beignetCoffee and beignet
Coffee and beignet

(a French donut-no hole with lots of powered sugar)
Cemetery Cemetery
Cemetery

Because the city is below sealevel you need to be buried above ground.
Jimmy Buffets BarJimmy Buffets Bar
Jimmy Buffets Bar

This is twice in one month
Paddle Wheel Paddle Wheel
Paddle Wheel

This was one of three operating paddles wheels in the US
HousesHouses
Houses

It you like old and fancy house this is the place. The colors are great
BandBand
Band

When I leave this world I want it to be behind one of these bands.


21st February 2005

Birthday
Happy belated birthday BOB!! Well, now you are finally OLDER than ME!! ha ha Gerry - Gerry

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb