Feburary 15, 1912


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
October 6th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Feb. 15 - We left Chattanooga at 7 A.M. The morning was beautiful. Old Lookout Mt. showed up in all his glory. We passed through the grass regions of Tenn. Most of the country of Geo. and Miss. was very poor. We saw our last patch of snow about 100 mi. out of Chattanooga. About 50 mi. south of that we saw the first cotton field & from that on there were many, although not such large fields as I expected to see. We saw oxen and windowless houses, just shutters. Much of the country has a rundown appearance.
As the train was several hours late, we did not see much of Louisiana. We reached New Orleans at 11 P.M., too late to see the Mardi Gras parade. The Cosmopolitan was anything but nice, rates were $8.00 for sleeping only. Next morning we bid the clerk “good-bye”, checked our baggage at the station, and started out to see the city.
First we walked down to the docks & saw the Heredia. She is a beautiful boat and we are well satisfied with #36. We then went to the S.S. office to see if we could stay on board at night. The desired permission was given and free of charge. This will even up our hotel experience.
We called on Mr. Mann’s uncle who was very pleasant & who mapped out a sight seeing trip for us. First we visited the cemeteries. The mode of burial is entirely different from ours as the graves are on top the ground. Then we visited the City Park. The live oaks are so beautiful and covered with Spanish Moss which is used in the making of mattresses. We had lunch at Maison Blanche’s department store. The lunch was not very good but the store was large and interesting. While Will took care of steamship tickets, I stayed under an awning out of the rain. After supper, we went to the boat and to bed for we were very tired.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Feb 15_4Feb 15_4
Feb 15_4

New Orleans cemetary


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb