Trek Update 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
August 13th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wow, I didn't realise I was this far behind! It's gonna be a long entry!

So we arrived at the Gateway Hotel at 7.30 ready to start the next trek. Our new tour leader was called Darcy, younger than Dawn and on her first season as a leader. It took quite a while to get on the road but when we did we stopped by Hollywood again quickly for those who hadn't already seen it. Since we had and I'm going back we took the opportunity to join the crowd for a TV show that was being filmed, Ten Years Younger, and Silvia and I were filmed discussing how old we thought the woman in question was so look out for us on TV haha! Afterwards we drove to Vegas, arriving late afternoon and checked into our hotel. It was luxury in comparison to what we'd been used to, three pools and we were sharing suites with two double beds, a separate lounge room and kitchen and ensuite between two. That night we got dressed up and went on a limo tour round the city, stopping at the Welcome to Vegas sign, the LG light show (which was amazing) and finishing at the Bellagio. We watched two of the famous fountain shows and then went for a look round the Casino. Since I probably wouldn't have got in as they were being pretty strict on ID I took a taxi back to the hotel with Lisa and had an early(ish) night. The next day Silvia and I woke up pretty late. We took the free Hard Rock Cafe shuttle to the MGM Grand and checked out the stores dedicated to M&Ms and Coke. It was way too hot to do anything outside until the evening!!!! I tried to get a ticket to the famous O show at the Bellagio but unfortunately it was sold out so we went shopping in the Miracle Mile before having dinner at La Salsa Cantina, a Mexican restaurant. We took a taxi to the Stratosphere building and did the rides (well I did two out of three) at the top of it, the highest thrill rides in the world. Later we got a taxi back to the hotel (after seeing the Motel pictured on the front of my travel journal across the road) and I had a night in my room chilling out with Sal.

The next day we were off to Zion Canyon, we left early and arrived around Midday, was too hot to do much really but the following day everyone did some hikes while I recovered from falling ill. In the afternoon, Sal, Silvia, Kay, Ginny and I went horseriding in the Canyon. It was really good fun except that my horse was a moody cow! The next day we set off for the Grand Canyon, on the way we did a short hike to Horseshoe Bend and back which was gorgeous and had lunch by Lake Powell. When we arrived we all had to get in a trust line and cover our eyes to see the canyon at the last minute and it was overwhelming! The next day we got up early for sunrise which was amazing if a little cloudy, then went on a hike, I walked the rim trail and then got the shuttle back to camp before the helicopter ride in the afternoon. Unfortunately it was cancelled due to a thunderstorm we sat in a little dry island in the middle of our tent for so we rearranged for the next morning. In the evening attempt to watch sunset but it really was too cloudy and then went on a shower trip since the ones at camp were terrible. We meant to go bowling but only the 6 with socks could so I played arcade games instead and won an Ipod Nano and a Nintendo DS, that was pretty cool.

OK it's long already, got to go explore New Orleans but will update more when I get a chance!

xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb