Voodoo and the blues......


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

La to New Orleans






Having flown from LA via Atlanta to New Orleans, we finally arrived to the sounds of the blues.

We didn't know what to expect.
Three years ago the whole area was completely devastated when hurricane "Katrina" hit.

Very quickly we learned that 3 years on, there is still lots of work yet to do.
Extensive work is being carried out all across the area, to repair the damage.
And there are still homes, that are yet to be cleared and rebuilt.

We heard many stories of how people who survived coped during this terrible time and how they are now rebuilding their lives.
The residents having experienced this awful tragedy, couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly.

We throughly enjoyed our time there, before heading off on our road trip to Orlando to meet up with family.....







Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Saint Louis Cathedral Saint Louis Cathedral
Saint Louis Cathedral

also known as Basilica of St. Louis, as seen from Jackson Square
StatueStatue
Statue

The statue of Andrew Jackson in the center of Jackson square recognizes his defeat of the British at New Orleans in 1814. His military success helped Andrew Jackson became the seventh President of the United States in 1832.
A Royal CarriageA Royal Carriage
A Royal Carriage

New Orleans' largest and America's oldest continually operating carriage company, since 1941.
Bourbon StreetBourbon Street
Bourbon Street

Full of bars and strip joints. Are we having fun yet?
Just before the storm...Just before the storm...
Just before the storm...

Couldn't see the bridge 10mins later.
"Natchez""Natchez"
"Natchez"

New Orleans historic river boat.
"Old Man River""Old Man River"
"Old Man River"

A man with a past, arms reach empty handed, God to a city in love with water. Artist "Robert Schoen" 1991
Voodoo dollsVoodoo dolls
Voodoo dolls

They have love spells, voodoo dolls and the like here.....
Well! Do you think it suits me?Well! Do you think it suits me?
Well! Do you think it suits me?

Oh Skid! Purples just not your colour...
Who's your friend Skim...Who's your friend Skim...
Who's your friend Skim...

Nobody special "ha ha"
The Superdome.The Superdome.
The Superdome.

This is where 30,000 people sheltered when "Katrina" devastated the area.
Fun in the $1 store.Fun in the $1 store.
Fun in the $1 store.

It just has to be done!
Lake Ponchartrain Bridge Lake Ponchartrain Bridge
Lake Ponchartrain Bridge

Rebuilding the Interstate 10 bridge across Lake Ponchartrain, which was wiped out by the recent hurricane "Katrina"


21st June 2008

You're hopping around now!
Good grief. At this rate you'll be back in the UK soon... Great to see you soaking up the atmosphere there. Aren't you going to go anywhere COLD on your tour? Lovely that you can wear shorts and not freeze there! Keep on posting, please: it's the cheapest holiday I've ever had!
22nd June 2008

Going somewhere cold!!!!
New Zealand in the autumn was cold enough for us. Now, not looking forward to winter in the UK after our summer travels. So get the travel spinach ready, we may need it...

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb