The One Where Russel Won't Leave


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
August 12th 1999
Published: May 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Subletting the apartment for the summer seemed to be a great idea. Most of my rent would be absorbed, and the temporary tenant would get a nice and quiet place at a reduced price. His name was Russell. American guy, in his 40's, calm and quiet, drink- and smoke free, riding around New Orleans on his bicycle. Wouldn't cause any trouble with the apartment complex manager, would keep a very low profile. According to our written contract, he would leave upon my return. So far so good.

The summer went by, and I returned. This is when I realize that Russell is still there, seemingly with no intention of moving out. One might think that it was obvious enough that my roomie and me were living there, preferably alone. Not so. Russell would not leave. The housing situation in New Orleans was not extremely tight; finding a place to stay in two months should be a completely doable task for a literate local. Not so. Russell had apparently become attached to Apartment 101 in Lake Terrace Gardens.

When confronted with the issue, Russell would change tactics. Would still "live" there, but avoiding the people living there, i.e. leaving early in the morning, coming back late at night. When finally "evicted", Russell would moan and groan, as this came as a total surprise. At last, a Russell-free environment was however accomplished...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb