New Orleans :)))


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
August 25th 2007
Published: August 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BeadsBeadsBeads

If you look closely, you can still see the beads hanging off of the second floor balcony.
We arrived in New Orleans at 2:00pm. We drove through the narrow streets in search of our hotel. Once we found it, we pulled into the parking garage and tried to check in. Our room wasn’t ready yet, so we checked our bags and left to make our way around the French Quarter.

It was everything I had imagined it to be. I love the brick buildings, the elaborate décor on the balconies…you could even hear some Zydeco music in the distance. Our first stop was to Café Beignet for some tasty snacks. We shared an iced lemonade and Jared had a pecan tart and some tabasco flavored potato chips. I had a pecan turtle that was just made!

We did some window shopping…the art galleries are plentiful down there. The one thing I noticed was how bitter the city is towards the Gov’t. There were a lot of t-shirts, posters and signs blasting FEMA….on the positive side, there was a lot of pride evident towards the efforts to rebuild the city…

We walked over to the French market and browsed the wares and then over to Jackson Square. We got back to the hotel at 4:30 and checked into our room. We had decided earlier in the week that we were going to stay at a nice hotel when we were in NOLA, so we booked a room at Hotel Monteleone. It is on Royal St, one block south of Bourbon St. The room was amazing! It had old style Southern charm, with yellow striped walls and a big chandelier ?. I was very impressed….

We got ready and went down to a restaurant called “The French Market”…We had a big bowl of Gumbo and then shared jambalaya and red beans and rice. It was delicious! I could get used to that kind of food...

After dinner we headed over to Pat O’Briens for some of their world famous hurricanes. I have been to Pat O’s in Orlando…it does not compare to the real thing! We got some hurricanes and headed in to listen to the dueling pianos. They were good, not as talented as the guy in Memphis. We had another hurricane (ok, we had another one each, and then shared one) then made our way down to Bourbon St. We did some bar hopping (adding another hurricane to the growing list of beverages consumed) and danced at one of the clubs. We went up to the balcony to look out and I tried to take some pics…they were pretty pathetic, I wonder why?! We went to a few more establishments and then walked back to the hotel.

Sunday morning we got up at 9:00… I had the worst headache EVER…..now I know why they are called hurricanes…they leave behind a lot of devastation 😉

We got some beignets and a café au lait for breakfast at a small café, and then got on the road to Fort Worth, Texas. (I slept off my headache for the first 3 hours of the trip)



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Where the evening beganWhere the evening began
Where the evening began

Hurricane's should come with some sort of warning!


1st September 2007

What fun!
What marvelous places you are seeing. It's a lot of traveling, but at the rate you guys are going, you will get to see the whole country. Have fun and stay safe. Love from the Cozy Cottage

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb