New Orleans some 40 years later


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
March 18th 2024
Published: March 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

After a very comfy night's sleep, we had a pretty early start driving to some birding places north of Lake Pontchartrain. Sadly, the target bird (the red cockaded WP) wasnt cooperating.

We chatted to a very nice local couple, where he is a pastor from Honduras and she from Indiana, and they said they see the woodpecker there frequently, but not today. Today they heard a king rail, but we did not. 6 ospreys at a big nest though and a lovely sunny but cool day.

We then drove about a half hour to another place, a very nice state park with a beach onto the lake. Another very nice walk, but few birds. However, when we walked to get closer to some really big turtles around a little fishing lake, we stopped in our tracks when we saw a medium sized alligator on the grass . He had big teeth!

Our last stop was at Bayou Sauvage in East New Orleans. Again, a nice walk on the boardwalk, but virtually no birds. So we drove straight to café Du Monde and consoled ourselves with their very strong coffee with chicory in it and three warm beignets. Lots of jazz being played right outside the open-air cafe. We walked to the top of the levy, over the cable car tracks, to see the paddle wheeled excursion boats. And down to Jackson Square and the old Catholic Church. After that, we made it back to the hotel successfully. Relaxed a bit, and then warmed up the crawfish étouffée from last nights restaurant. Very yummy, tho not as good as from Paddadeux.

Another note about traffic- lots of U turns permitted, spaghetti junctions, and people coming thru red lights. Lots of buskers near the Cafe and many street people in green spaces along the boulevards. And some crazily dressed people! We were warned on a YouTube video about NOLA to not fall for anyone offering to shine our shoes, and we did see that light scam happening to others.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.583s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.2425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb