ON THE AMERICAN QUEEN AT HOUMAS HOUSE


Advertisement
Published: March 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

HOUMAS HOUSE FRIDAY - The Houmas House, “The Sugar Palace” is the last stop on the cruise. The house has evolved since the first building in the 1770s and the present mansion in the late 1820s. The 32 acre estate has 450 year old oak trees and beautiful gardens with abundant fountains and statuary.

The house now is home to a fine dining restaurant and adjacent buildings house a café and large rooms for wedding receptions and parties. A wonderful setting for special events. It was used in the 1963 film “Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte” starring Bette Davis. My tour guide was the best ever! She had the whole group roaring with laughter with her quips and stories. The house is now the residence of the owner and open to the public as a reminder of another era.

The Captain’s Farewell Reception is this afternoon and the entertainment tonight is “The Memphis Music Story”. The Queen will dock early tomorrow morning and all should be ashore early. I have to pack and have my bags ready to go by midnight, so this will be my final blog on this trip. I enjoyed having your company!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

DINING ROOMDINING ROOM
DINING ROOM

ONE OF SEVERAL FOR FINE DINING RESTAURANT - LATIL'S LANDING
1770'S KITCHEN1770'S KITCHEN
1770'S KITCHEN

TOUR GUIDE JUDY


Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb