On to Kentucky


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky
February 24th 2019
Published: February 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We had a quiet night at the Crackerbarrel lot, that is except for the delivery truck that showed up to unload at 4AM. No one says that "Free Camping" comes without price. Back on the road, we continued down I79 to Charleston WV, where we picked up I64 west to Lexington, then over to Elizabethtown, then finally down to Bowling Green. There we landed for a visit with Lea Ann, one of Cathy's old buddies from her childhood. They were both vagabond "Campbells Soup Kids" traveling around the country, living for a while near whatever Campbells plant their Dads were assigned to.

LeeAnn and her husband have a beautiful old home in suburban Bowling Green filled with fantastic art and artifacts from all over. They also have horses and chickens, and the gals collected a dozen fresh assorted eggs for us to take along. It was a pleasure for me to see those two together, the immediate rapport that they had was so apparent, we all had a fine time.

Additionally, this stop gave us a chance to have our brand new refrigerator looked at. We had ordered it in January from the big chain, Camping World. It was listed as a direct replacement for the 40 year old model original to the trailer. It did fit, after a bit of work, but I had been peeved to find that it would not get cold -- at all. We could have taken it in for service up near us, but we were in a hurry to "Get Out of Dodge" so we thought we'd find somewhere along the way. As in turns out, not only was there a huge new "Camping World" just a couple of miles from LeeAnn's, we found that Bowling Green is actually their headquarters.

So we made arrangements to have Fred there at 8:00 the next morning. We unhooked and left him there while we went out to breakfast. Is wasn't long till they called to say that the problem was that our onboard charger/controller was putting out too much voltage, and that the fridge's circuit board didn't like it. Of course, they offered to sell us a new controller, and to install it as well. My hand, as if by some magic reflex, immediately gripped my wallet, and I said "no thank you!" Being as I am, a doubting Thomas, I wasn't entirely trusting of their diagnosis, but we paid for the service, hooked up, and got the hell out of the land of retail camping.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb