Smithland Kentucky


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Smithland
October 14th 2009
Published: October 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Gower HouseThe Gower HouseThe Gower House

The Gower House still stands today on the river bank in downtown Smithland, Kentucky. The house, actually a tavern and inn, was purchased by Stanley Gower in 1836. A cellar under the house is believed to have been a part of the Underground Railway used by slaves who were running for their freedom. The building in 2009 was in fairly good condition however it will eventually need some repairs and renovations. According to sources in Smithland, the owners apparently have no plans for renovation. This would make an excellent river restaurant with lots of history. Several Presidents have traveled down the river and stayed at this location many decades ago.
Smithland, Kentucky is located at the intersection of the Cumberland and Ohio Rivers. Today it is on a ghost of its past as few business remain and the tourist industry has long passed the small town. There are approximately 1000 people living in Smithland today. A very nice $7 million dollar Justice Center is the most predominate building in town. Built next to the current court house the building is very nice. The former main street of Smithland slowly started disappearing in the middle of the last century as building after building was torn town and only a vacant lot remains today. The film "How The West Was Won" (1961) had many scenes from this old downtown area and it was after that filming the "destruction" of main street started.In the film the town is Albany, New York.

There are some old historical homes till standing in Smithland today. The Gower House, once called the Bell Tavern, faces the Ohio River. It is now boarded up and according to sources in Smithland there are no plans to renovate the old tavern and inn. Drive down to the river and travel the river road a few feet to the location. The
Old Court HouseOld Court HouseOld Court House

This is the old court house in downtown Smithland. The new Justice Center stand several feet from this building.
old house used during the Civil War as a hospital met its fate several decades ago. It was located at the top of the hill close to the school. There are no remnants left today.

The Smthland Dam can be seen from the River Road. You can get closer to the dam by traveling US 60 about 5 miles to the turn off to the dam. This are sometimes floods during heavy rains and flooding season. The Livingston County Historical and Genealogy Society operates from an old log cabin that has been restored. Look for it across from the old court house on State Street. Some old churches building still remain in downtown Smithland. There is a nice home on the Ohio River at the end of Main Street in downtown and across the street from the old Smithland Bank building which is one of the few still standing buildings in this area.

There is not a lot to keep one in Smithland for any extended period of time. Thus when you have driven past the historical sites, you might want to hear for Kentucky Dam or Barkley Dam as they are both in Livingston County. There are
Smithland Methodist ChurchSmithland Methodist ChurchSmithland Methodist Church

The Smithland Methodist Church building in downtown Smithland.
no notable restaurants in town and only one grocery store plus a dollar store.Head for the Kentucky Lake area for a variety of food choices.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Livingston Justice CenterLivingston Justice Center
Livingston Justice Center

The new Livingston County Justice Center was built in 2009 at a cost of almost $7 million dollars. It has an entrance off US 60 in downtown Smithland close to the original court house. It is by far the nicest structure in this small western Kentucky community.
Old Smithland Bank BuildingOld Smithland Bank Building
Old Smithland Bank Building

The old Smithland Bank building is one of the few original buildings remaining on Main Street in downtown Smithland. As recent as a few years ago this building housed a very nice gift shop however apparently the lack of business resulted in the business departing. The building was vacant in 2009 when visited. Just across the street if the nice big house that was built many years ago by Smith. A lot of the locals hang out at a pavilion located high on the Ohio River banks in frot of the Smith house.
Smithland DamSmithland Dam
Smithland Dam

The Smithland Dam can easily bee seen from the foot of Main Street in downtown Smithland. The dam built in the 1970s can be seen closer if one will travel east on US 60 about five miles east of Smithland. Look for the signs leading to the dam.
Stately Home In SmithlandStately Home In Smithland
Stately Home In Smithland

This photo shows just one of several nice homes located in the downtown area of Smthland, Kentucky. This is the Dr. Lynn Adams house located on Court Street. Was built in 1912 or 1913.
Nice Old Home In Downtown SmithlandNice Old Home In Downtown Smithland
Nice Old Home In Downtown Smithland

It is worth one's time to drive around Smithland and view several old houses still standing. At the rate some of these homes have been destroyed this probably won't last a great many more years. You can get some information at the local historical society tourist cabin.This is a photo of the Rudd House believed to have been built in 1840s. Listed in National Register Historic Places in 1982.
Historical Plaque on Gower HouseHistorical Plaque on Gower House
Historical Plaque on Gower House

This historical plaque is located on the river road in front of the Gower House.
The Massey HouseThe Massey House
The Massey House

The Massey House which was part of the Underground Railroad in the Civil War was built in 1799. About two months before this posting arsons burned the house. Arrests have been made.


18th January 2010

Breathless
I'll never forget my first visit to Smithland. My husband and I were visiting the Kentucky Lake area for a weekend trip when I saw the sign for Smithland near the motel where we were staying. My grandfather had pastored the Methodist Church there many years before, and since we were only 12 miles away, I suggested that we drive over. After winding around curves and up and down hills for what seemed like a lot more than 12 miles, we crested the hill and started down Main Street when suddenly before me I saw one of the most beautiful vistas I have ever seen in my life. It quite literally took my breath away and I gasped in complete awe. The vision of the two rivers meeting and the uninterrupted view across to the other side was awe-inspiring. We have traveled back to Smithland on several more occasions and I don't think I would ever grow tired of that first beautiful view.
1st March 2010

Thanks for viewing Smithland
Thanks for your viewign of the Smithland blog. Glad to hear from you.---Bill
1st March 2010

Thanks for viewing Smithland
Thanks for your viewing of the Smithland blog. Glad to hear from you.---Bill
6th March 2011
Nice Old Home In Downtown Smithland

The Old Davis Home
This home in Smithland, Ky., is presently known as the Rudd home. It was originally the Davis home as my father and his brother owned it at one time and sold it to Mr. Wille Rudd who then rehabilitated it and moved into it as his residence. Prior to my father and uncle owning it, the house was the home of Kate Davis Love, a decendant of my father's side of the family. I remember my father telling me that she was pretty much a recluse in that she would not allow anyone in the house and that she pretty much lived on the second floor. She would have her groceries delivered to her home and she would lower a basket to the ground level and the delivery person would place the groceries in the basket. She would pull the basket up and then send the money down to pay for them. She is buried in the Davis family burial plot in the Smithland Cemetery on the hill overlooking the Ohio River as is my father. It is the only burial plot in the cemetery having a wrott iron fence around it. I remember that my father had told me that the Davis family had been quite prominant in Smithland years ago as they owned a grocery or mercantile store.
6th March 2011
The Gower House

Just a Bit of Information
I am a retired Professional Land Surveyor licensed in Kentucky. Years ago I conducted a boundary line survey on the site of the old Gower House. I can not remember the exact date of when the survey was made but the files may still be in existance at the company for which I worked and had part ownership in. The company is now named Farris, McIntosh and Tremper, Inc., located at 124 South 31st. Street, Paducah, ky.,42003
6th March 2011
Livingston Justice Center

Information Regarding New Justice Center
This beautiful structure was constructed by B. H. Greene Construction Company doing business in Paducah, Ky. My brother-in-law is on the Livingston County Fiscal Court and it was during his tenure, which still continues today, that this beautiful building was constructed.
30th July 2012

Garage
While recently driving through your community, we noticed a garage on the street near the riverbank. The garage was bisected by a wooden fence. Is there a story? Thanks. Len Thomas Swartz Creek, MI
13th February 2013

Smithland Ky
my family (grandparents) are from tiline and I lived in smithland in the 70s the place is very nice to visit you don't want to live there but nice to visit the best place is the cemetery on the hill has slot of civil war history and un marked graves near water tower

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0952s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb