Following the Feud


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Pikeville
June 15th 2016
Published: June 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

You don't have to be a history buff to enjoy traveling down the banks of the Tug Fork River, which separates Kentucky and West Virginia, to discover the legends of the most famous family feud ever documented. Traces of the legendary battle between the Hatfield's and the McCoy's remain today as vivid reminders of the struggle that existed amongst these two proud families. Visit their respective grave sites, touch the PawPaw trees where three of the McCoy brothers lost their lives, and stand in the courthouse in downtown Pikeville, Kentucky where the feud officially began.



Locals still tell their versions of the legend and the Pikeville and Logan County visitor centers are filled with books and audio tapes that retrace the stories. Movies have been made depicting the feud and the various versions of the story, but seeing the people and places where history was made, brings the sights and sounds alive.



No matter which side you choose or which tale you believe, the historical sites that mark the feud are full of intrigue and capture the spirit of the prideful battle that took place between these two families and the generations that followed them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb