Kenya: Blog #2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Louisville
March 18th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday March 16

Hello All! Jambo! Habari? (how are you?)

Patrick, the chef at Sosa, along with Pauline who manages Sosa, took our diet and figured out quantities for 80 children for one day and per month. Then they estimated the cost of ingredients. Oh dear, we Americans and our expectations. This ideal diet would cost over 5X what we have to spend on food for a month!! In addition, as Debby, Tish, and Arlene have visited the secondary schools, they have asked about what the children in other schools are fed. Our children receive close to a typical diet. We are now thinking small -- how can we insure that our children receive fruit once or twice a week, maybe meat or fish once a week, and a little something for breakfast. Extremely expensive items here in Kenya included raisins and juice. Ahh for Costco portions and prices here in Kenya!

The maize and beans have been stored up at Mrs. Agesa's. We are in the process of cleaning out a good storage area at VCH, and moving the supplies down to the grounds of the Home. We expect there to be more control over the food when kept close at hand.

The children had a "field day" at a neighboring school today. We went up to the Gisambe Primary School and watched them play two other schools. I was able to talk to our teachers, and photograph them. Our children are obviously very proud of their school and its high performance in the district. When asked what they like about living at VCH, one consistent answer is the "learning," and when asked what they are proud of -- they are proud of their school.

Stacy and Danica are running football (soccer) drills after classes are let out. Stacy thought to bring pinneys and the children are very much enjoying this.

Wednesday

Stacy is learning the medical system here in Kenya. She took Alex to the dentist for X-rays for his teeth today, and tomorrow will go back to the MBale hospital for an estimate on his braces. She braved riding a Boda Boda (scooter) today, to return from the medical appoint, with Alex wedged b/w she and the driver. She confessed to being nervous about the ride but said it was fun.

We began interviewing the children today. Gail Chandler, I do not know how you interview 40 children in one day! We completed 21. Danica or Stacy measured the children, I interviewed, Tish and Charlie taught them about letter writing and had them write a letter to their sponsors, and then Addie played games with children who had completed all of the above, until we were ready to send a group of 5 back to class. My brain was pudding by the end of the day.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb