... Kansas ...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas
June 5th 2006
Published: June 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 30: Leoti, KS to Ness City, KS
Total Miles: 82.3

Today went pretty smoothly - not too many lapses in motivation. We resorted to many of our old tricks to pass the time. Arthur's developed a nasty 1 hr gas station routine in the morning - he's decided that he needs an energy drink, muffins, candy bars, chips and other goodies to get himself going in the morning. You have to resort to drastic measures when the only food available to you comes out of a gas station.
We arrived in Ness City before everything had closed (it seemed like a miracle - most towns only have gas stations, the towns that have anything more close down by 7 or so, we always seem to arrive afterward) - treated ourselves to dinner at the Cactus Club (defrosted salmon never tasted so good) where we found a local cattle farmer to interrogate. Today we had a pretty nasty encounter with some cows. As we were passing a bunch of cows, we realized that some of the babies had somehow managed to escape the confines of the barbed wire fence and were running into the street. Afraid they'd get hit by a car, we tried to coax them back toward the hole they escaped through. Instead of cooperating they started ramming themselves through the barbed wire. Ugh, a horrible sight. We didn't know what to do. After the last calf had made his way through the fence we left to find someone to notify about all these torn up and bleeding baby cows. It makes me sad just writing about them. Apparently the young ones have yet to learn about the barbed wire fences.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb