Kansas/Missouri Over 10,500 miles Since Leaving Clayton - 3 Day Blog


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Hays
August 27th 2013
Published: August 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

August 28, 2013 - Wednesday

A lazy day today, just needing to run into the town of Hays to do some laundry. Now this trip would be perfect, if we didn’t have to do laundry. Hahaha!

The drought in Kansas is horrific, we’re told they’ve been experiencing it here in this part of Kansas since 1997. The reservoir here at the campground is totally dry, with large trees growing in it and the lake is way, way down. Hopefully they will get some relief soon.

Marge is battling some Altitude Sickness from going up into the Rockies(over 12, 000’) and has a bad headache, nausea, and is feeling very tired and sleepy. We’re told it takes 48-72 hours to get over it, and today we’re up at about 48 hrs. but no let up as yet.

The town of Hays isn’t very large, but it took us 40 minutes just to get to it. We’re way out in the boonies at this campground. Not many here when we arrived but they seem to be starting to come in now, apparently for the Labor Day Weekend. I think that’s this weekend. Life begins to seem a little surreal after being away from the ‘norm’ for so long.

Sat out in the evening and watched for deer, none tonight, just lots of stars.

August 29, 2013 - Thursday

Marge still feeling the effects of the Altitude sickness, so this will be a down day for us. We did drive around the park and checked out the lake – it looks to be at least 50%!d(MISSING)own on water and the reservoir is dry as a bone with lots of large trees growing in it.

It’s interesting to hear the Meadow Larks singing, such lovely trills and a choir of their own here on the plains.

We grilled out for dinner today but that was a real chore – it got up to 104 today, unbelievably. We came out in the heat and we’re returning in the heat. Hmmm, maybe we should just turn around and go back to Newport. Nah, it’s time to get home.

August 30, 2013 - Friday

It was 76 when we left this morning for Oak Grove, Missouri and the KOA Campground. At noon the temperature was 95 and when we arrived the campground it was 104 again.

We pass fields and fields of Milo, or Sorghum as we leave and find out it’s great silage since it needs hardly any rainfall – a good crop for this area! Also along the way we pass so many windmills again, looks like a city of windmills on each side of the road.

Pass by Salina, Abilene, and Topeka and Leavenworth prison. As we exit the Turnpike the vehicles come to a standstill. Looks like an accident with 3 police cars, a couple of Emergency Vehicles, and a couple of wreckers racing past us. After about ½ an hour we’re moving again and see 3 SUV’s pretty banged up, one really bad and, the concrete median fence is pretty broken up in one spot as well. We prayed there were no deaths.

Enter Missouri at 2 p.m. and see the Kansas City Royals Baseball and Football Stadiums, one behind the other. And their slogan is “We bleed Royal Blue.”

Arrive our campground at 2:45, unhook, and go for some groceries while the trailer can cool down in this horrendous heat. But still, at 8 p.m. it’s 88 degrees, too hot to even walk around the campground.

This will be our last Blog entry – of 3 days - as we will now be visiting family for the duration of the trip. We thank you all so much for riding along with us and for all of your prayers for our safety. We covet continuing prayer for our health and safety till we return.

Adieu - Adios - Auf Wiedersehen - Ciao - Bye I think we hear banjos??


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



31st August 2013

last stretch
Welcome to Missouri! see you soon- drive safely!
31st August 2013

What a trip !
Thanks for the adventure, the pics and the laughs. So happy you are soon to return to the family of Grace.
31st August 2013

Welcome Home Almost
I hope Marge is feeling better by now. It does take a few days to adjust from those elevations not to mention the heat and humidity. If I counted correctly there have been 66 travelblogs and I have enjoyed each one of them very much. Thank You for those updates and beautiful pictures along the way. Enjoy the rest of the trip! 73
31st August 2013

Wonderful trip. I've enjoyed every minute of it with you. Thanks for taking me along.
31st August 2013

Welcome back home. Well, almost.
What a wonderful experience you have afforded your readers. We've seen pictures of places we've never been and were envious of all that good seafood you ate on the Coast. Hope family is well. See you soon.
31st August 2013

Au Revoir...
Or awwww, reservoir.... Enjoyed all the wonderful pics... Boy this site is really out there in the open! Looks like you're the only ones in the park! Safe travels, good visits with family, and come home, so this place can start feeling back to normal! We miss the heck out of you!
1st September 2013

Happy Ending
What an amazing trip it has been for not only you but those of us on the blog! How thankful Karl and I are to be included on your venture. Have a good visit with family. Perhaps you might be able to send us a picture or two of them, especially your Mother, Marge, at some point in time when you've arrived home and had time to regroup. Thanks again for this awsome experience to "travel with you". Be safe, be joyful, and enjoy incredible memories!!! Love, Nancy
3rd September 2013

Miss you
I remember all the drought and dried up corn still on the stalks. So glad you're heading home now. We have all missed you so much. Just not the same without you. We're in Florida for close to 3 weeks and will be home around the 17th. We're looking forward to seeing you!!! Love, Bruce & Linda

Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb