Winterset City Park Campground, IA · Madison County Covered Bridge Tour, IA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » Winterset
May 16th 2022
Published: May 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Today we embarked from Missouri to Iowa. It was only 167 miles but took almost 4 hours due to most of the drive was all rural backroads. We were very happy to see the campground in Winterset, it is a city park in a quaint little town just south of Des Moines.

We setup and left right away so that we could take the Madison County Covered Bridge tour. There was a total of 6 bridges all originally built in the late 1800s, only one of which could still be driven through. They were all beautifully restored and maintained. Nates favorite bridge was Holliwell built in 1880 due to the unique architecture. Many of the bridges were featured in a book “Bridges of Madison County”, that was later adapted into a movie with Clint Eastwood. The final bridge was right at the campground. The city park which adjoined our campground had many wood carvings, playgrounds, a hedge maze, nice pavilions with fireplaces, and neat stonework. The park was beautifully manicured. We settled down for dinner to plan out our day ahead in Des Moines. We are hoping for a clear bright star filled sky, as we have not yet had good star nights either due to light pollution or cloudy skies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb