Chicago Bound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana » Cedar Lake
June 1st 2013
Published: June 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our first trip in the RV is off to a great start. We let each child (ages 5 and 8) pack a box of toys to put under their beds (couch). We also packed them a folder and matching notebook to color and make notes in. Immediately my daughter drew a picture of a RV with a tow dolly and van behind it. It became our second artwork feature in the Winnebago. The first artwork is the bulletin board of pictures from all of our camping trips in the travel trailer. We like to take a picture each time we camp to remember the fun and scenery. At age 5, our son has so many lasting memories and detailed stories to tell about each of our previous trips.

My dad, the kid's grandpa, is traveling with us this trip. Our dog, Tres is along for the ride too. This would have never been possible in the back seat of the pickup truck.



Sites to see/look for on I-57 North of Mt. Vernon, IL.

1. Windmills

2. Amish Country and Museum

3. Huge silos and grain elevators

4. If you like to shop, there is an awesome outlet mall somewhere around mile marker 212. (should have written this one down for accuracy)



We made the decision to camp at Cedar Lake Ministries, Cedar Lake, IN. They have only a few sites, but the bathrooms and shower house are immaculate! The sites are nice with grass and shade. Here is their website:

http://www.cedarlakeministries.org/.

If you plan to visit Chicago, I highly recommend staying here. The price is right and the drive to downtown is farily simple. Only once did we encounter traffic and even then, we made it to the Sears Tower (Willis Tower) in under an hour. There is shopping and gas within 5 miles of the campground. There is a very small playground. Our kids brought their scooters and were just fine.

Approximately, 7 miles from the campground is The Shrine of Christ's Passion. http://www.shrineofchristspassion.org/ For us, this was a hidden treasure. Had we not passed it on the way to Chicago, we would have never known it was there. This is a must see FREE attraction!! I would like to tell you all about it, but the website will do that in more detail. Instead I will just say GO. LOOK at the detail in the bronze sculptures. Enjoy the HUGE gift shop. DONATE to keep the leisurely walk and shrine open. Take a photo with Jesus and have a seat at the Last Supper. If you have kids with you who do not know and understand the story of Jesus, prepare them to see Jesus carrying the cross and nails being driven into his hands. The perfect ending to a great day in which the Lord has made.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb