RIHLA #8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
November 14th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Salutations my kitten bats!

I do believe that we all know, or have heard some tad-bit of information, about Frankenstorm Hurricane Sandy that hit the eat side two weeks prior? Pre, during, and post storm footage has been withering around the sticky internet (spider) web for almost a month!

An intriging article I found on NY Times lead me to a very intresting, and previously unknown, contraversy to my listless eyes. People selling dirt-awful 'I survived Hurricane Sandy' t-shirts. Many would find such novelty t-shirts a wonderful conversational years after the recovery of the aftermath of Sandy; however, many bodies in Staten Island still need to be found and many are without power and suficent supplies. Instead of printing t-shirts, shouldn't these entraprenuers being donating their money to relief efforts? Most are donating profits from the t-shirts to relief efforts, but, in my opinion, it is too soon to start profiting off of loss. Those New Yorkers and Jersey Boys just lost their livelyhood, posessions, and maybe a loved one. Is it right to go around a make a mochary of their current lives by selling NOVELTY (joke/ funny/ comedical/ mass-produced) t-shirts so close to devastation. No, I thinks it's wrong, just like kicking sand in the face of someone whose already down on their knees.

This entraprenuer-victim relationship reminds me of how the Partisans (Rome's wealthy) treated the Plebians (Rome's poor) during the fall of Pax Romana. The partisans took advantage of the wealth they had and left the plebians with almost nothing. Plebians had no voice, for there was no democracy. Plebians had no income, for they could not keep up with the latifundias (Roman plantations owned by the partisans). The life of a plebain back then was difficult and ill-prosperous. They were suffering like the victims of Hurrican Sandy are now.

My parting question for you is: How can ancient inequality expand to modern times when one of the two opposing used to be ranked the same as the other?



Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/11/nyregion/in-hurricane-sandys-wake-the-peddlers-move-in.html

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb