Rock Cut State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Rockford
September 21st 2023
Published: October 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed a stay in the Rockford area. The highlight of the stay here was spending time with our daughter Amanda and her husband Aiden. We checked out Activation Games. What a fun experience playing through many of the rooms of mental and physical team games. Then to Lazy Dog for a delicious lunch. So fun to spend time with them!

We toured our first Frank Lloyd Wright house, the Laurent House. The Laurent House is the only building designed by Architect Frand Lloyd Wrigth for a person with a disability. The single-story Usonian home is a rare mid-century design featuring a solar hemicycle footprint and is considered one of the most well-preserved Wright homes in existence. Our docent, Larry, was very knowledgeable and seemed to enjoy sharing information about the house and the Laurents.

Next was the Anderson Japanese Gardens. Begun in 1978, it was the design of Hochi Kurisu to transform the Anderson's swampy backyard along the Rockford Spring Creek into a Japanese-style garden. The Andersons' donated the garden to the Rockford Rotary Charitable Association in 1998. The gardens are beautiful, peaceful, and a surprise around every corner. Often the location for weddings, there was a wedding party there taking photos. We enjoyed dinner at the Stone Eagle Tavern for dinner on our 44th anniversary. Delightful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb