Nightstop in The Windy City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
July 15th 2014
Published: July 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In my first year as cabin crew I think I ventured to Chicago almost every month. One month I actually went four times in a row. Was just such a nice trip. I normally prefer heading east to the likes of japan and Singapore but when it comes to America there is just something about Chicago. Such a great city. So I was so excited to be heading back on a trip after almost two years having not been there. We only get about 24hours there, so it is just a nightstop. One of my good friends from work, James, was on it and I knew couple other people which was good. We got to hotel about 8pm. We stay right on Michigan Avenue which is just so amazing and right in the heart of it all. Quick change, got ready then headed out on town. Three of us went to the top of the Hancock Tower to The Signature Room for cocktails. You need to get the elevator up to the 96th floor. The views of the city from up here are fantastic. Drinks with a view! We just stayed here for one then went to meet the rest of our crew at a bar called Timothy Toole's. From the outside it just looks like a shabby Irish bar but once you go in and head down the stairs it opens out to a big bar area with snooker tables and karaoke. Proper American bar! We had a fun time of it. There were so many beers to choose from so I went for one called Blue Moon, quite nice. Got some nachos too for a munch. Then we got mingling with the locals, dancing and singing. One guy was declaring that we 'had the best job in the world.' Seems pretty spot on! Back to hotel in the early hours. Woke up pretty early, don't sleep well over this way. Me and James met for some breakfast. Went to a little place called The Corner Bakery - got pretty much anything you need in terms of breaky. Some scrambled eggs, smoothies and wee cappuccino sorted us right out. We then went a walk along the promenade by the lake and to the beach. This city is just amazing in any season - got the sunshine and beach in the summer, then cold crisp winters. We walked quite far along then headed back and sat on the beach for an hour or so. For lunch we went to an American Classic - The Cheesacake Factory. Had some fish tacos and chicken wings. We had ordered from the reduced portion lunchtime menu and our plates were still massive! So stuffed afterwards. Don't think Iv ever been able to eat a normal portion of food in America! We really wanted to have cheesecake but literally could not manage another bite of food. After lunch it was back to the hotel to get ready to head back to London. So glad I could back to this city, had such a great time as always.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement




Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb