RIHLA #26


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 21st 2013
Published: May 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. In Bangladesh there was an eight-story building that collapsed killing more than one thousand people. The building was believed to have collapsed because there were extra floors that have not been in the building, as well as there was heavy machinery that the building could not support. Due to this the Bangladesh government agreed to let the country’s garment workers form factory unions. Also, gave the garment workers a raise in their wage.


2. Human rights were clearly violated. This is so because Article 21, in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, says that everyone has a voice in government. In 2006, the Bangladesh there was a law that allowed garment workers to form unions, but with factory owners permission. Except this was impossible because the owners usually turned down the idea of the workers creating trade unions.




3. I think that all the factories should be inspected thoroughly for safety hazards. Currently, there is 22 factories closed temporarily. I feel as if that is a step in the right direction in order to keep the garment workers safe at all times.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb