RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 26th 2013
Published: February 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1.) Basically, this article was talking about the controversy behind Christopher Columbus and his actions in "The New World". The article discussed his maltreatment of the American Natives, and how he put them in bondage (Similar to the Africans). The article also discussed how Columbus and his followers used plagues and diseases almost like a biological weapon against the Native Americans.



2.) I do not think Columbus, similar to Abraham Lincoln (Lincoln only freed the slaves for economic reasons not out of good will), should be celebrated because he was a very evil, selfish, and violent man. He basically came to America, disregarded the people that were already living there, and took the land for his own.



3.) This connects to class because Columbus acted similarly to Cortes, who conquered the Aztecs, by taking over the Americas against the will of its indigenous peoples. They both conquered their territories for selfish reasons (Columbus for slaves and Cortes for gold and silver), and they both were "explorers". Religion and Christianity were also a major drive for both Columbus and Cortes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb