RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 25th 2013
Published: February 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post



1. In this article, the historians and investigators go more in-depth with Christopher Columbus Day. They talk about how Columbus came to the New World and dominated everyone who was there, known as the indigenous people. Columbus, however, enslaved many people like Africans, and Native people of the West Indies. He subjected them to violence and brutality. Columbus also came to the New World and brought disease which devasted the Native population.

2. I feel that Columbus Day shouldn't be a Federal Holiday because the facts behind Columbus Day are devastating to some people and the actions that took place in the 1500's are horrible. He killed a lot of Native and African people. Christopher Columbus was a cruel person in my opinion, and the foreigners (Africans and Natives) couldn't do anything about it.

3. This connects to class because we are talking about the early explorers and Columbus was one of them. Also, we talked about how Columbus landed in the West Indies and started his conquest which soon became terror. Vocab terms I recognized are New World and Slavery.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb