RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 24th 2013
Published: February 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

RIHLA # 19: Day of the Dead

1) This article is how indigenus people kept Day of the Dead alive. When the Spanish Conquistadors arrive in Mexico they wanted to destroy this holiday. However, they could not destory it because the indigenus people would not let it die. Day of the Dead is important holiday for the indigenus people because it is day to celebrate the people who died. They cook their deceased's favorite foods. They dance and celebrate/ honor the people who died, by setting an alter. On the alter is a picture of the deceased and their favorite things that they like to eat and do. The Aztecs felt that dieing was a dream. To this day many people celebrate this holiday.





2) I was surprise to hear that Aztecs saw death as a dream. I wonder how the Aztecs kept this tradition if the Spanish Conquistadors did not favor it. I would like to know the actions they took to keep this tradition alive. I was also surprised to read that some people celebrate the day of the dead for a whole month.

3) Ths reading connects to what I am learning in class because I am learning that Aztecs and other Native Americans kept some of their traditions when the Spanish conqureded them. We are also learning about the Spanish conquring the Native Americans and how the Spanish won.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1000.7kb