Rihla #17- "Banned Books"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 8th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1.Reasons that books are being banned because within the book parents believe that because these books include either sex, profanity, and racism or all of the above. They feel that these kinds of books that teachers are making kids read are not age-appropriate and they complain that it basically ruining their minds.



2. I do not agree that the government should restrict what books people should or should not read. Even though the books include graphic imagery or language, it serves an overall purpose for the story. The purpose of a story is to inform or entertain a reader. These books that people are banning have a certain theme that teaches the reader something they didn’t know or understand before. That is why books should not be banned. Kids deserve to learn about the world they live in and the values that are important.



3. I believe teachers should decide what books children should read. They know how mature or curious a student is. However, they should still be open minded on the variety of books the children could read. Even if the teachers are not going to always be there for them, they should feel obligated as teachers to broaden a child's horizon and teach them what books they could handle.



4. One way someone could fight book censorship is by starting a petition and getting many people on their side that they want the book removed from the banned book list. There is power in numbers and if a whole group of people rebel, then the government will most likely un-ban it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb