RIHLA #13


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
December 17th 2012
Published: December 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. Ahmas veil is different from other veils because hers is all black as the rest but covers everything except her eyes. The Hijab is a headscarf that covers the female’s hair not face and the picture has designs and Ahmas doesn’t. A chador is a full-body cloak that also covers her hair but not face. The abaya is a head-to-toe black cloak and can be worn with or with out the face veil. The Niquab is a head-to-toe veil and leaves only eyes uncovered similar to Ahmas’s veil. Lastly, The Burqa covers the entire face and body.

2. Ahmas is unable to wear her veil because according to the article there is a law in France that forbids covering one’s face in public, for religious or secular reasons. Violators face fines of about $200 and are required to take classes on French “values”. She feels that “ France is has decided to boycott some human rights”, and that her life has been miserable”.

3. Defenders of the law, say that allowing people to hide their faces in public prevents them from fully participating in French society, and could enable crime, or even women from oppression. They believe that the law liberates from being dominated.

4. I believe that a government shouldn’t be able to decide what constitutes female oppression. My reason for this is because with out any research it just seems to be bias and what they assume. Also if the person who presents the information is a female of the religion then I see the point.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb