The Funeral Oration of Pericles(RIHLA #5)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
October 14th 2012
Published: October 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Part I

1. How does Pericles define Democracy?

2. What does Pericles say it takes for a person to be a good citizen?

1. Pericles defines democracy as not in the hands of the few but of the many. What he probably means by that is that the government is not controlled by just a few people but by many people, so there is no one ruler.

2. What Pericles says it takes to be a good citizen is to attend both public and private duties and to not let anything distract them from completing those duties.

Part II

Who would you prefer to live as an Athenian or a Spartan?

I would like to live life as an Athenian because it has a less strict community, they stay in one place, and they have a democracy. By having a less strict community is that they don't kill your kid if they are not up to the standers they want them to be, just like the Spartans. The Spartans were more known to migrate a lot which I don’t like because I don't get accustomed to a certain location that I might like. Finally, I would be an Athenian because they have a democracy, which gives more freedom to the people, unlike a dictatorship or a monarchy that have one ruler.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb