Rihla 29


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 20th 2012
Published: May 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Amnesty International is an organization that helps people who are treated unfairly around the world. Part of the organization’s mission is to advocate for human rights. The organization helps fight against many issues that may go unnoticed otherwise. The issues range from women and children rights to refugee and migrant rights to business and security rights. Amnesty International USA does much of its work through campaigns. Their main campaigns include: demand dignity, individuals at risk, security with human rights, and abolish the death penalty. Amnesty International observes the human rights in more than 150 countries. Amnesty International takes many cases in which people have been abused or mistreated. While it is difficult to take all cases, Amnesty International prioritizes the more serious cases. The cases involved one person, a group of people, or a community. Amnesty International has had many victories and will continue having ore victories.



One of the causes Amnesty International helps is freedom of expression. Chinese journalist Shi Tao was imprisoned for 10 years and his political rights was taken away for 2 years after his imprisonment sentence finishes. Tao sent an email to a U.S democracy website. He was charged with “illegally providing state secrets to foreign entities”. <span> Tao was arrested and his family was harassed by authorities. Amnesty International calls Tao a “prisoner of conscience”. Amnesty International argues that Tao is being imprisoned for using his freedom of expression, something that is supposed to be protected by the Chinese constitution. This case relates to freedom of expression because Tao was imprisoned for sending an email on his own time. I was a bit shocked that as punishment they took away his rights. I was also wondering how they would find out about the email he sent. This is just one of the cases where a person has been treated unfairly and Amnesty International is trying to correct it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb