RIHLA #29


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 16th 2012
Published: May 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Amnesty came about when a British lawyer, Peter Benonson, came across a newspaper story about two Portugese students being sent to jail for toasting to freedom. This story did not sit well with Benenson. After Benenson came across this story he went to action! Benenson then appealed in “The Observer” newspaper in which he urged readers to write appeal letters for the prisoners. This appeal caused people all around the world, internationally, to campaign against the mistreatment of these students. After all of that, Amnesty International was born.



Amnesty has over 3 million supporters, activists, and volunteers in over 150 countries. Amnesty’s global headquarters are located in London; however, they have other organizations in over 68 countries. Amnesty International is funded by individual supporters and foundations to safeguard.



"A violent attack on protesters in Cairo on Saturday night reportedly left one person dead and scores injured. The attack, carried out by an unknown group of people, led to clashes which lasted into Sunday morning." Is the story I'm going to write on. This story relates to human rights because people in Egypt are being denied the write to express themselves, for they are not able to protest without being attacked. My reaction to this is me being shocked! I did not know that people still were not able to express themseleves peacefully without being attacked. Then again, since this occured in Egypt I was not too shocked because they are in a different situation then we are in, in regards to rules and rights.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1004.6kb