RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 20th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?
The main reasons that books are banned is because of sex, oppression, racism and profanity. People want to protect the young ones from topics like these.

Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.
I do not believe that these are good reasons to ban books. These reasons are embedded into daily life. You can see sex in movies and TV. You can see profanity in any TV show on Oxygen. You can see racism in people sometimes and in our history ( taught at school). As well as oppression in history ( taught at school). These reasons are places in a persons daily life. If these are the reasons to ban books, then they are bad ones, because it is in every ones lifestyle.

What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics).
I think that students should be able to read what ever they wish. I believe that it is in the first amendment to be able to read what ever they want, and not control others ability to read certain books. I believe in that right. I think a book is a voice also, it is something that should be protected. I think that once your ability to read a book it gone, then you are slowly losing your first right.

If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so. Any other additional thoughts or comments?
If a person wanted to fight against book censorship a person could:


• Attend a school board, library board, and PTA meetings.
• Join groups committed to preserving rights to read:
• The Freedom to Read Foundation
• The National Coalition Against Censorship
• The American Civil Liberties Union
• Write to public officials
• Work with community groups
• Form a coalition to oppose censorship in your community


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb