Rihla # 10


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 18th 2011
Published: November 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

5 W’s of the movement: Who, What, Where, When, and Why.
 After you explain the 5 W’s, argue whether or not you agree with the movement (this should involve your understanding of the possible positive and negative effects that the movement could have)

The Occupy Wall Street seems to be a big issue that people are involved in. According to the article "The Occupy Movement: Who Are We and What Do We Want?" by Nancy Crook explains their purpose and the reason why of this movement.

Who:
They are people who are protesting economic/social and political issues around the world. They are different types of people with different types of jobs coming together to fight back against the "corrupt system".

What:
"Occupy Wall Street and all of the Occupy Together gatherings are a revolt against the greedy, selfish, opportunistic, corporate thieves who have robbed those of us in the middle class through thirty years of trickle-down, voodoo economics" (Nancy Cronk)
They (people) are fighting back against those that they feel robbed from and protesting to receive what is there's.

Where: In New York at Zuccotti Park, which is the birthplace of the movement.

When: It began September 17, 2011 and still an ongoing movement

Why:
The movement started because of an outrage of the following:
"income disparities between the rich and the poor, exempting corporations from paying their fair share of taxes, policies shrinking the middle class, outsourcing jobs overseas, recent wars that have spilled our children's blood, big money in politics, media which is owned by the rich, and is used to convince the uninformed to vote against their own self-interests, large banks have been bailed out by taxpayers, at ridiculous Supreme Court rulings to give corporations 'personhood'"(Nancy Cronk).
They are fighting/ protesting in a "non-violent" way to get their country back and how things used to be. They want jobs, rights, benefits, and to stop serving the rich.

I agree with this movement to a certain extent. People should have a voice and protest when things are starting to focus on the rich and instead of the poor & middle class. Although, it is causing lots of problems and issues. Many people are getting arrested and agreeing to higher taxes for the rich in return may damage the economy.
Sources:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-occupy-movement-more-trouble-or-change/2011/11/15/gIQAu9dVPN_story.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy-cronk/the-occupy-movement-who-w_b_1014690.html




Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb