Rihla #9


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 11th 2011
Published: November 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

RIOTS IN GREECE



The issue:

Europe is in debt and there are issues on how to bale out Greece for the second time in one year. In order to fix this debt, Greek politicians have resorted to austerity measures so the debt doesn't ruin the economy.
"Greece is already receiving international money to help stave off a financial meltdown, but unless it agrees to impose the austerity package, it may be denied the next scheduled payment of a $156 billion bailout agreed last year"

an austerity is a policy of deficit-cutting, lower spending, and a reduction in the amount of benefits and public services provided

The aim is to cute about $20 million dollars in public while also raising the same amount in taxes.
The spending cuts will cause an increase in job cuts, school closings, and restrictions on welfare benefits.


The Reaction:

Hundred of people gathered in Athens in response to protest the austerity policies. Most of the protesters who were marching in central Athens marched peacefully, but crowds outside of parliament fought with police who tried to get rid of them by throwing tear gas.
The angry protesters were destroying building by tearing off chunks of marble from buildings and smashing windows and bank signs.

video on riots:


http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10760374

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-29/world/greece.riots.explainer_1_austerity-package-greece-cuts-and-tax-hikes?_s=PM:WORLD


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb