Rihla #3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
September 26th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

1) The article about the "untouchables" in India relates to what we have been learning in class because since we are learning about different cultures this goes along with Indian culture. In every culture there are different beliefs and in Indian culture they have Hinduism which explains the untouchables. Not only that but also in class we have discussed the separation of classes and how they fit into society.
2)I can infer that most people will just accept the caste system because the police and higher people seem do to anything about changing it. Also I think most people like it the caste system as long as they aren't all the way at the bottom of the system.
3) The the treatment of the "untouchables" relates back to U.S history in 1960's to 1970's when there was large separation between blacks and whites. African Americans were not allowed to be in the same area as whites just like untouchables can't be around higher caste people.
4)One thing I found really interesting is how corrupt their police system is. When the family was being held captive " the local police knew the Dalit family was being held captive, but did nothing because of the higher caste family influence." The local police decided to ignore the crime and just continue on with their lives while a woman got raped,and burned alive and her family got tortured.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb