Take Me Out to the Ball Game!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
August 9th 2011
Published: August 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Time to get caught up!

Dan and I accidentally took I 96 instead of I94 out of Detroit, so we shot a little north of Kalamazoo, but got straight from heading south from Grand Rapids. We Checked out the Air Zoo for a few minutes before heading off to Chicago. Just before we crossed into Indiana, we got off the interstate and got onto a state road that would skirt the Lake Michigan shore. That is when it began to rain. We were too stubborn, and didn't suit up with rain gear and both of got drenched. Our faces were getting stung by the rain and we were sloshing in our shoes for the last three hours of our approach.

We got to Zukas' place in Lincoln Park around sunset. I took a shower and we all headed out for a beer. We only stayed out for one before heading back. Dan and I took Leche out for a walk in the morning and stumbled upon the Lincoln Park Zoo. We took a stroll through to see if any animals were out, and only a Sun Bear was out pacing in the morning sun.

We then headed out to see if Chicago had any neighborhoods to rival those we saw in Detroit, but none did. Disheartened by our fruitless search for a tough neighborhood we headed into the city center to have some deep dish pizza for lunch. We found a pizzeria on Dearborn Street down town and parked the bikes a couple blocks away and walk. We asked a girl if she liked the pizza there and she said it was O.K., but she loved the pizza at Lou Malnati's around the corner. So we went there. The pizza was pretty good, but we both still prefer New York style.

We then headed out for a little sight-seeing. We walked over to the Tower formerly known as Sears. Its now called the Willis Tower. We the rode our bikes down to Soldier field and couldn't figure out where people tailgated. We then got lost looking for the United Center, before giving up and heading back to Zukas' pad. Dan went outside to relax in Lincoln Park while I rode downtown to meet up with Alma and Will. They are both settling in well in Chicago, and we had a great lunch that lasted for over two hours.

Now it was time for the game. Dan and headed up to Wrigleyville to watch the Nationals play the Cubs. We were hoping scalpers would be out, and had no problem finding one. We got two tickets to the first base side in the outfield for a buck and a half below face value. The game was kind of slow until the sixth inning when the Nats scored three runs off a couple home runs. The stadium was pretty well packed and we had to wait until the ninth inning until we snuck down closer to the field. The granny ushers were tough! They wouldn't let ANYONE down close to the field until after the game. We got to watch the last two outs from about 12 rows up from home plate next to a guy from Lewiston, Idaho.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb