Full Circle!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
August 10th 2011
Published: August 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Busy traffic all the way down from Milwaulke to Chicago, and we left around 10am, hoping to miss the worst. It was finally time to hand back the keys to our transport for the last fortnight. Felt sad to have reached that final day, which spells the end of a once in a lifetime trip! However, it would be good to relax in Chicago and not worry about some dozy american backing into our $20,000 vehicle!

When we reached Chicago it became more apparent that the HD Electra Glide Classic (to give it it's full title) is great for long touring, but can be cumbersome in a congested city environment! (One that seems to have every second road dug up!)

After, what felt like hours, we found the hotel in the Lincoln Park area and unloaded the bike. (I never knew we had this much stuff). Then we set off for Eagleriders to drop off it off. By the time we reached the rental shop, I had truly developed 'clutch finger', where my left hand was like a claw or that of someone doing silhouette puppetry! Sad to see it go (but good to get physical relief) I took some pictures (in black and white, as so many bugs had given their lives for this trip! The front fairing looking like a slaughter house floor!) They sure do have some big bugs in corn country.

The weather was on the turn as we walked the mile or so to get the train back into downtown. Having no bike (no responsibility), we found 'The Hidden Shamrock' to shelter from the now pouring rain. And at $5 a pitcher, the rain could stay on as long as it wanted!

The following day was a blue sky stunner. We had decided to check out the amazing views to be had from the top of the Hancock building. Now here's some math for you: The observation deck on floor 94 costs $15 per person. However, if you go two floors up there is the 'Signature lounge' with the same views! You must, however, buy a drink. The cheapest of which is Bud at $7 a bottle. Can you tell which route the Scots took? Yes, the views were indeed spectacular!

We are sad to be leaving tomorrow as we feel we've only scratched the surface of some of the towns and cities of this vast beautiful country! I'm sure however, there will be a next time.

Chicago has been a wonderful end to a wonderful journey! Thanks for joining us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb