The Leader Of The Pack


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
July 12th 1994
Published: May 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chicago is admittedly a rather violent city. The city has a history of violence, going back to the days of Al Capone and his likes. Crime rates and unemployment rates in some parts of the city are (or at least were) insanely high. Given these facts, and being a pretty experienced traveler, I trust nobody. Inspired by the spirit of the moment, in combination with a few beers, I decide to go against my instincts and have a late-night chat with the guys hanging out outside the Lincoln/Belmont YMCA.

Although these guys may not be typical losers, they will most likely never make it to any Hall Of Fame. But they won't hurt me. They won't rob me. They even show some polite interest in Europe, although they really don't care. To them I'm probably just a spoiled and rich (yeah, right, I wish!) European tourist. The guy of undeterminable origin with a black tank top seems to be the leader of the "gang". Don't know his name, but he could be a Darren. His chances of making a career are slim to none. His top priorities concern surviving on the streets. He's been shot two times. He's taken two knife stabbings. Both his parents and his two brothers have spent or are spending time in jail. But he's not bitter about his situation. That's life. A bit of a contrast from small-town blues in Smallville Sweden...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb