Waterworld


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
July 17th 1994
Published: July 17th 1994
Edit Blog Post

Naturally, the scenery is impressive. The Horseshoe Falls of the Niagara Falls could probably not have been more beautifully designed with the most modern techniques. It's wet, it's big, it's touristy, it's mighty. Yet, the wow-experience is just not there. Probably there is something wrong with me, as I keep thinking that there are more impressive places than this. This wonder of nature, admittedly one of the most romantic and legendary of attractions. Stories - true or not - are told about people who went down the falls in a barrel - and survived. Or the lady who dropped her newborn baby in the falls. Not sure whether these contribute to the overall impression in a positive or negative way, but they sure add to the legend and mystery. Maybe a boat ride into the falls will do the trick? "Maid of the Mist" takes you right into the Horseshoe Fall, letting you experience the wonder on front row. It's loud, it's wet, and despite the traditional American marketing trick to dramatize every little thing that could generate money, it's almost boringly safe. But I guess that what falls do...Roar at you, spit at you, try to drench you. Likely to succeed, unless you have a steady boat to penetrate its heart. The waterfall doesn't care about its own hostile nature. It's not going anywhere. At least not until the last tourist is gone...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.5kb