The Famous Chicago Dog


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 13th 2024
Published: March 9th 2024
Edit Blog Post

What makes a Chicago dog different from any other dog?


Hot Dog is another American classic that became popular outside of America pretty much worldwide. A grilled or steamed sausage served in a sliced bun and traditionally adorned with mustard, ketchup, onions, relish, and other condiments. It is a flavorful and portable delight often enjoyed at ball games, picnics, and summer cookouts. The marriage of juicy sausage and a soft bun, along with the tangy and savory flavors from the toppings, makes the hot dog one of the most famous American street foods.


A Chicago-style hotdog starts with a steamed poppy seed bun and an all-beef frankfurter. It is then topped with yellow mustard, bright green relish, chopped onions, tomato, a kosher-style pickle spear, and a few spicy sports peppers, all topped with celery salt. Its origins come from the Great Depression in the 1930s, and to this day, it is a favorite in the windy city.


From one of my previous posts:


Most people know the hot dog arrived in Chicago from Frankfurt, via Vienna. Frankfurt was known for pork sausages since the 13th century. Sometime in the 19th century, a butcher in Vienna added beef to the sausage mixture, creating the wiener-frankfurter. It reached Chicago, a bun was added, and the World's Fair in 1893 featured Chicago dogs.


Another unique feature of Chicago dogs are the cooking method, either steamed or cooked in hot (not boiling water). Less common is the use of a charcoal grill, maybe a California thing? The typical dog weights two ounces or 1/8 pound (57 grams) and features a natural casing. And the bun must be steamed, not toasted or grilled!


Chicago has more hot dog stands than fast food restaurants. Other Chicago "rules" are: NO catsup, NO seedless bun, Vienna beef ONLY, must have "the works", and heavy on the "salad" portion (tomatoes, pickles, and peppers). Oh, and the dog must be consumed in FIVE bites, no more, no less!! Beer and fries are the most common items to order with the Portillo dog.


However, the bright green relish in unique to Chicago. What makes Chicago relish so green?

The key to making our Relish so vibrant has nothing to do with radioactive substances… all it is is a little blue food coloring! The addition of the blue food coloring has no impact on the overall taste of the relish, but every Chicago Style hot dog-lover knows that it's all part of the experience! I think I will buy some to take home.


So, how many dogs will I have this trip? Who knows, but you know I will have at least one! Even if it is at the airport on the way home!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb