Color Me Green with a River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 16th 2024
Published: March 9th 2024
Edit Blog Post

For some reason I have always wanted to do this. Perhaps due to my Dad's birthday, St. Patrick's Day, we must be part Irish??

From Only Illinois: If you visit Chicago during St. Patrick’s Day, you will undoubtedly witness one of the strangest traditions in the country: the river dyeing. For five decades, Chicago has transformed the waterway into a shade of bright emerald green by dumping 100 pounds of environmentally friendly dye right into the Chicago River. This year will mark the 61st anniversary of this unique event.


According to Chicagoist, in 1961, Stephen Bailey, the business manager for the Chicago Journeymen Plumbers Local Union, noticed that a plumber’s white overalls had bright green stains all over it, seemingly matching the emerald green often associated with Ireland. The green dye was originally used to help in the effort to clean up the river’s waterfront areas. According to And a green riverAnd a green riverAnd a green river
dye in the river to turn it green for St. Patrick’s Day – and it stayed that way for a week! Fun fact: Daley originally wanted to use the green dye to colorize a section of Lake Michigan until he was persuaded to dye the more manageable Chicago River instead.

We plan to be there on March 16 when the Plumbers dye the river. In fact, we will be out on a tour boat, drinking green beer and getting ready to have our corned beef sandwiches.

Another fun activity: The Windy City is known for its architecture and you can drink in the distinctive skyline from the 94th floor of 875 North Michigan Avenue (formerly the John Hancock Building). The skyscraper's observation deck enjoys a sought-after location around 1,000 feet (305m) above Chicago's Magnificent Mile, with uninterrupted vistas over the city and to Lake Michigan. The bravest can take a ride on TILT – a hair-raising attraction that sees visitors tilted outward on a moving glass platform, awarding them downward-facing views of the city below.


The Green Mill, one of Chicago’s oldest bars, this 1907 original served as notorious gangster Al Capone’s favorite Prohibition-era hangout. These days, Green Mill remains one of the top jazz clubs in the
Color me green!Color me green!Color me green!
country as well as a damn fine spot to grab a drink. The cinematic vibes of this bucket list-worthy bar are impossible to miss (with several film scenes being shot here), especially when bands hit the old-timey stage. It’s also a top post-show spot after catching a concert at the nearby Riviera or Aragon. Drinks are nothing too fancy or gimmicky, just strong and delicious. Just don’t chat too loud while the bands are playing or you will be unceremoniously shushed.


Always fun to be here in Chicago with Kenbob and Nelly. I first met Kenbob here on business in 1982. Great friendships endure the test of time. We have many great stories that should best remain untold!

I am often surprised we are allowed back into the City, the Loop for sure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb