Chic Chicago or Not?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 12th 2024
Published: March 9th 2024
Edit Blog Post

After numerous trips to Chicago, mostly for business, but a few for pleasure, I am just about out of "new" things to share with you. But, as you know, I will try my best. I have always found Chicago to be a much more manageable city than LA, NY, Paris, or Tokyo. But you can decide for yourself. Fifty million people visit every year!

One place I have always wanted to visit is the International Museum of Surgical Science, operated by the International College of Surgeons. It houses thousands of medical artifacts and objects, along with a huge dose of infamous quackery. It also houses a rather unique library, including one book written by Florence Nightingale! Friends have told me it is one of the most macabre places in the world!

A companion visit would probably involve the Medieval Torture Museum. Some might say early surgical procedures would qualify as torture. The museum is among the most popular in Chicago, since they use silicone dummies and various torture devices. Most displays are quite gory and accompanied by a spooky voice on the audio guide. And I am told it can be quite interactive.

Another interesting place is the Busy Beaver Button Museum, a one of kind museum for pinback buttons. The collection of 30,000 pins dates back to the 1800s but the museum was founded in 1995 by Cristen Carter. Bless her heart, I guess?

Moving on to the bold or risqué, how about a trip to the Leather Archives and Museum. Again, a subject I know little about, and intend to continue knowing little. But if you are into whips, chains, bondage and leather, be my guest! One reminder don't get tied up. You might miss dinner.

An annual winter event here is the No Pants Subway Ride. .A group of subway riders remove their pants before boarding the train, pretend they don't know each other, and try to act normal, as if nothing is wrong. It happens on the Red Line at the Loyola station. The mission started as a small prank with seven friends and grew into an international celebration of silliness, with dozens of cities around the world participating each year. The idea behind No Pants is simple: Random passengers board a subway car at separate stops in the middle of winter without pants. The participants behave as if they do not know each other, and they all wear winter coats, hats, scarves, and gloves. The only unusual thing is their lack of pants. The event occurs every January in New York City and other cities around the world. Again, go ahead!


A love-hate relationship that Chicagoans have with the city comes in the form of the CTA. Riding the L on the Red Line promises at least one story fit for parties. Most Chicagoans also share the information to stay closer to the front, or in the front car, at nights and away from the doors to avoid potential muggings.


Believe it or not, several breweries offer yoga classes here. Now that is a combination I have never heard of. Try Revolution Brewing, if you are first timer. I doubt anyone would go if they are not a beer drinker? Anything to work up a thirst, I say.


Feel like shopping? Let's go to the Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply Company. It is so secret; I cannot tell you what they sell. Rumor has it that they even sell carrier pigeons. But I can tell you everything must go through your handler.


No longer considered new or different, Second City is still alive and well. Who knows, you may see the next Dan Akroyd, Tina Fey, Shelley Long or Bill Murray. Just watch out for Carl and the gopher!


Just about everyone wants to hangout in Al Capone's favorite spot, the Green Mill. Big Al had a special booth so he could see both the front AND back doors. Mostly a jazz club now.


Chicago credits itself with the birthplace of several subgenres of music, including gospel music, urban blues, and modern jazz. The dedication to art spans decades, with the modern music scene spanning genres like classical music, indie rock, and hip-hop.


Want to try the secret door to a speakeasy? Not needed, but it is behind the laundry machines. The Chicago Magic Show was built in a 1940s laundry house. After a few drinks, you will not even care!


Residents of Chicago may measure their love for their city in many ways — one of which is their ability to drink Malört. Famously difficult to get down, Malört became “Chicago’s drink” in the mid-twentieth century when a bartender took a liking to it and wanted his regulars to feel the same. Today, Chicagoans, even if they hate it, will convince others to drink it too.


I think I will stick to the basics: Garrett's Popcorn, the Mag Mile, Rush Street, Portillo's, some music, some good food, and my friends from Atlanta.

And some unfinished family history.


Oh, and it will be cold, typical Chicago weather. I am bringing the full winter wool setup. I hate being cold, especially in the Windy City.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb