Need-to-Know Basis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho
May 29th 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Wednesday evening’s fire left a hot bed of coals for a morning fire Thursday. We rolled down the miles of dirt road without incident, aired up our tires at the pavement, and rolled the last couple of miles to Crouch. Suddenly Reverend Chuck braked hard and turned into a barber shop parking lot. Could it be? Yes. Haircut time. Diane told an interesting life’s tale as she spent a long and careful time giving Chuck his buzz cut. 45 minutes, $8.00!
Earlier in the trip Reverend Chuck offered to shave his head if Reverend Bill got a tattoo. There’s no telling what might happen in the waning days of this adventure. “Mom” might look good emblazoned somewhere………..
We regained the highway in Crouch and headed North toward MaCall. There was some “spirited” riding in the canyon of highway 55, some of the best thus far.
Beautiful green meadows and snow lined peaks graced our route, past Brundage Ski area and into MaCall. We found the Fogglifter Cafe, where the friendly and gracious Lacey and Steve allowed us to hang and blog an hour past closing time.
After a short run North to New Meadows, we swung south toward Cambridge, passing a trio of sportbikes in a pull-out along the road. Some time later, after cresting a beautiful pass, reverend Bill spied the trio approaching rapidly from the rear. He eased over to the right edge of the road and motioned them to pass. The lead bike moved forward about the time Reverend Chuck opened his throttle. He knew they were going to catch him and pass, but he decided he'd make them work for it. By the time we reached Cambridge, only the lead bike had gotten past Reverend Chuck. His maximum velocity on this run is on a strict need-to-know basis at this time. We found a couple nice rib eyes in the Cambridge market, secured the rest of our provisions, and headed down toward the Snake River Canyon.
Just outside of Cambridge, we encountered a number of snakes in the road. More intriguing were the masses of grasshoppers. Much like the Mormon Cricket migration in Nevada, the majority of the critters were cannibalizing their dead colleagues in the tire tracks of the lanes.
The campground at Oxbow is one of the finest around, a green oasis, camping on grass, free showers, flowers and manicured lawns. Ten bucks per site. Reverend Chuck attacked a dead tree for our evening fire, a he later grilled the rib eyes to perfection. We were soon settled by the fire under the stars.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

BeforeBefore
Before

All smiles......
AfterAfter
After

Holy Cow!!!
Hot LipsHot Lips
Hot Lips

Reverend Chuck's fine choice.
Lacey and SteveLacey and Steve
Lacey and Steve

The Fogglifter Cafe in MaCall Idaho, outstanding lunch, great folks. Thanks.
Oxbow CampOxbow Camp
Oxbow Camp

Another creek-side site.
Oxbow BloomsOxbow Blooms
Oxbow Blooms

Idaho Power and Light facility.
A Fine FagotA Fine Fagot
A Fine Fagot

Reverend Chuck's work, retrieved on his bike.
Dinner PrepDinner Prep
Dinner Prep

Yet another fine repast, in the works.
Maestro at WorkMaestro at Work
Maestro at Work

Sacrificing body hair for dinner.


30th May 2009

"Mom" tatoo
Don't you think "Dana" might be more appreciated by yr wife? Flattering as that might be - it'd be hard to show to my friends. Hate to say this publicly, but you're a great writer - what descriptions! Tom has taken his 2 teen boys on some of your routes in Idaho - loves seeing them ! We're settled in Pagosa Spgs for a while while you have to go home - too bad ! luv mom

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb