Craters of the Moon to Salmon


Advertisement

Craters of the Moon National Monument was other-worldly, but beautiful. The lava flows, boulders and cones were fascinating. But the really amazing thing was the wildflowers growing out of that dead-looking black ground. There are 750,000 acres of lava, that in some places looks as if it was just spewed out of the ground and tilled up in rows.
We drove the Sawtooth Scenic byway through Sun Valley to Galena Peak Summit. It was a beautiful drive, but the towns of Ketchum and Hailey had a kind of phony frontier facade feel (how's that for alliteration.)
Galena Peak Summit looks over the Salmon River Valley to the Sawtooth Mountains. A gorgeous wide view. The Salmon River Scenic Byway runs along the Salmon River for 162 miles. The climate changed from green, lush mountains to dry and rocky. Amazing colors, too.
Tonight we're in Salmon, Idaho.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Craters of the Moon NMCraters of the Moon NM
Craters of the Moon NM

wildflowers growing out of lava beds
Salmon RiverSalmon River
Salmon River

along Salmon River Scenic Byway, ID
Salmon RiverSalmon River
Salmon River

Along Salmon River Scenic Byway - See how much drier it is here.


2nd July 2008

I wish I was with you guys. That's some amazing stuff. So how'd it feel driving over a supervolcano? :)
2nd July 2008

Keeps those photos coming, it's like being on the trip with you.
2nd July 2008

Wonderful pictures...
Hi guys, What a fabulous trip! The pictures and descriptions of your adventures are just great! Travel safe. Love, Linda

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb