NEOCOT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
June 10th 2004
Published: June 10th 2004
Edit Blog Post

No TitlesNo TitlesNo Titles

The AntiTourist watching the excitement at Waikiki Beach.
We slept in until it was after noon.  Waking, dozing, relaxing, then napping again!  This is no later than many normal days at home.  The thing is, when we rolled out of bed it was only 8 AM Hawaii time.  We even got down to the hotel restaurant for a decent breakfast.  Pretty unusual for us to get breakfast during the normal hours.
 
We took a short walk around the hotel.  There wasn’t much to see since the street ran under a multilane freeway type road.  Then off we went to catch the city bus to the Waikiki area.  The bus driver was a woman and very nice.  She only charged us a dollar each since we are so old.
 
The bus ride took an hour or so to get to the end of the line, which happened to be Waikiki Beach where we wanted to go.  During the ride we drove right through Chinatown, which I thought it would be fun to see. I saw it from the bus!!! 
 
Anyway, back to the end of the line, we strolled looking for a restaurant and found a small sushi place.  It was good and not overly filling, but the lunch cost us $30.  A bit much for a few pieces of raw fish!  We strolled across the street, to the beach side and enjoyed ourselves watching the hundreds of surfers in a line waiting and waiting for the acceptable wave.  When one or two did get up, they were certainly more expert than the Florida variety of surfer.  Of course, during this surfer watching the male half of the AntiTourist was watching the bikini clad maidens walking to and from the beach.  I suppose this is just the beginning of that pastime for him.  I tried to do my part of that watching activity, but the best the guys could come up with was droopy, looong and baggy shorts.  Sort of like the fifties pedal pushers on steroids.
 
We had an iced tea and it was time to walk to the bus stop for the trip back to the hotel.  This bus driver was a polar opposite of the first one.  A guy!  We even had to show medicare cards to get the fare discount.  He also drove like a bat out of hell and jerked to stops until Ham thought his back would break.  We were very thankful when that ride was over.
 
We stopped at the restaurant for New England style clam chowder in a bread bowl and I had a weird macadamia nut pie thing.  Did we eat clam chowder when we were in New England last summer?  Ha, that’s a laugh!  Fortified for the evening we are taking turns with the computer.  
 
This mode of travel is sure different than our usual trips in the van.  If we were driving through the Honolulu traffic with our 19 foot long, 9 foot high van, looking for a place to park, we would have just kept on going right past Waikiki.  I liked Waikiki, and not just for the people watching.
 
Tomorrow we see if Alamo has a car for us.  If they do we will head for the North Shore and the big surf.  They say the big surf is on holiday this time of year, but since we just surf the net we'll be happy as clams.  We might not be back Blogging for a couple of days since I don't know if we'll have service wherever we end up.  Goodnight all.
 
The AntiTourist

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb