Vancouver to Honolulu Hawai


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
October 7th 2011
Published: October 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived late at Honolulu airport and with the load of suitcases in tow we need a bigger cab as anybody else. But we managed and were all booked in at around 10.30 p.m. Not that tired we went out for a walk to see what the neighbourhood was like. We were close to the beach, but nothing like 25 years ago when we holidayed here. The first few days we just lazed and took it easy. Most of the time we looked at shops and visited the International Market that was already here and we remembered. Lots of new Hotels and restaurants have taken over the beach. Later in the week we organised a few tours and you have not been in Hawaii if you not take part in a Lu"au. A bus took us to Paradise Cove and really it was a Paradise. It is on a twelve acre beach front. We were welcomed with a Hawaiian drink, don't ask me the name but tasted very nice. We finished up with a nice place close to where all the performances took place so we could see things well. On the trip to the Lu"au they ask all sorts of questions o.a. how long people were married. Our 51 years made us the longest married. An applause was the result and we thought that would be the finish. Not so during the performances this all was called out again this time in front of so 1500 people. We had to stand up and gave a kiss as we received a standing ovation for this. It was a superb evening that we tremendous enjoyed, even this was a second time. Come evening we have to look for a place to eat. The food preparation is a bit different but you do get used to it. That night we had an Amatriciani dish that tasted very nice, but the drinks are pricey. For a quarter glass of red you pay $8.50. Beer was the cheapest. Wednesday was our visit to Pearl harbour and it's Memorial and Museums. We were picked up in a smaller bus and driven to the sites by a very knowledgeable Kona, who was a 50% Hawaiian Resident. To be a certain percent Hawaiian is very important. It gives you the right to receive (not buy) a piece of land an build on it. Not bad. After driving very slowly through the National Memory Cemetery at Punch Bowl crater, we arrived at the Visitors centre of pearl Harbour. Two small museums showed the devastation that took place here. Also a very good explanation how this attack came to be. Before going with a ferry to the memorial, a small film was showing the attack that took place. We were asked to show respect when you arrived at the memorial, because it is the final resting place of 1177 crew members. By looking at this enormous steel tomb underneath the Memorial the enormity of it hits home. The attack was such a suprice, that most of the crew inside had no hope of survival. 1177 People of one vessel, terrible. Next stop made at the Battle ship Missouri. Commissioned i n 1944, taking part in three wars, the last one being Dessert Storm. Famous for the signing of the peace treaty with Japan in Tokyo with General Douglas Mac Arthur on the second of September 1945. The Missouri is 270.4 metres long and has a speed in excess of over 32 knots. It is interesting walking through the quarters that gives you an impression of it's size. The eight main guns can, with pin point accuracy shoot 20 miles. Very impressive. A Kamikaze dent on the side railing is evidence of this attack. As a last stop the Driver took us to Down Town Honolulu. Here we heard an interesting story about King Kamehameha, who lived at the turn of the last century. He had a castle build, but after visiting Buckingham Palace, he did like it any more and had a new one build in the style of Buckingham Palace. Such Indulgence. We are now into the last week and will send the next one from Adelaide. Till than Liz & Allan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb