Wonderful Wailea


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Wailea Makena
September 9th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I managed a bit of a longer lay in this morning (5am) and Daryl woke around 0730. We went to the nice cafe for a breakfast bagel, and had a look in some of the guidebooks and on line for hostels in Oahu so we have some idea of where we can head for when we fly up there on Sunday.

Issac was our guide again today, he's really good and tells you about places we pass on the way and points out some interesting stuff. Today we were visiting Wailea, just south west to where we are staying. Issac pointed out the neighbouring Island which looks lovely but has been uninhibited for years as the US Government shifted everyone out years ago and used it as a bombing range instead, talk about spoiling paradise. Also in the distance we could see the Molokini crater which is a popular snorkelling spot, as it's half moon shape-the aerial pictures look amazing (I'll see if I can cut and paste one to here) we stopped at the supermarket and Snorkel bobs again en route to the beach. Issac brought his dog today (you could definitely tell this dog was on Hawaiian time-it did nothing but snooze!) when Daryl got out of the van to go buy some water, the dog didn't hesitate on jumping in his seat and snuggling his head down on my knee-10 second rule Daryl, he almost had to get in the front if Issac hadn't of moved him. Daryl said not to bother as I'd probably be happier sitting next to the dog (his words not mine, but I didn't disagree!)

Our first beach was another white sand crystal clear sea which was backed onto by Andaz Maui hotel (google it-it looks like an amazing resort) there weren't as many fish here and sadly we didn't see any ninja turtles today, but we got some more great pics on the underwater camera. As it became it a bit cloudy, we moved down the road to the next beach which was equally as nice, but were advised not to go snorkelling as the swell was in and the sea was quite choppy. The red flags were up, so we found a nice spot between the sand dunes and had a little snooze. (Mum the kindle you got me has been a god send for reading on the beach-thank you!)

After a couple of hours we headed back into town (only after spotting the coolest dog, chilling out sporting sunglasses and a Lei around her neck. Her name was Grace (maybe after Grace Kelly-she looked just as elegant in her glasses!)

We had a bit of a wander around the indoor market as we really wanted to buy a Jan and Den for the campervan we hope to get in the next few months. Now Jan and Den (aside from being Daryls Mam and Dad) are the names he gave to the little Hawaiian Dashboard figures in the minibuses we use for the day trips, a hula girl and a ukelele man that wobble when you're driving (think Hawaiian version of nodding dog) and we managed to find them. The woman who's stall we bought them off was from Kent, and another guy we got speaking to was Mexican. He was telling us all about the different cultures in Hawaii, and that the Mexicans came to be the cowboys, the Portuguese came to work the sugar crop and I'm not too sure about the Malaysians but there are a lot. Also a lot of Japanese (about 40%) in and around Honolulu (not even joking here) so that will be interesting when we go there next week. I bought some pink flower hair slides for our niece Isabelle and some cheap flip flops for me.



We then went next door to 'Life's a beach' bar for Happy hour. There was A guy playing all the American classics on his guitar (sweet home Alabama, hotel California etc) he was really good. Here we got chatting to a couple in our group who have been travelling and working around America for the past 3 months. She was from Holland and He from Bolivia and they met at an American summer camp 2 years ago. They were telling us all of their travels and asking about where we were from. I said England and Daryl from Wales although not many people seemed to know where Wales is (when you tell people you're from the UK, automatically they say London? Everyone is obsessed with the place! Maybe I should tell them Hull is capital of culture 2017 and they to promote tourism oop North???!!)

well the Dutch girl, also called Emma, did know where Wales was, because back home she watches the Valleys! Arrrrggghh! We told her it's not really like that programme, but despite my despair that shite TV like that makes it across the water onto Dutch TV (what has the world come to when that is someone's reference for Wales?!) if anything positive can come out of it, it's that she could understand Daryl probably better than I can........ Maybe we should suggest Jans Van as a stop on their next backpacking holiday, so they can experience the REAL Wales! Another girl in the group is a right character, she was telling us she's from Brazil but moved to America to learn English, and despite having consumed a shed load of tequila, could hold a pretty good conversation for someone who's only been learning English for 5 months. Daryl was more interested in the American Football training taking place on the Field across the road (it was the nearest thing to Rugby) but fair doos to the young kids, they must have trained for a total of 4 hours altogether, and it must have been boiling under all that padding.

Anyway a few too many happy hour Mai Tais and $5 beef burritos later, we went to watch the sunset which happened in the blink of an eye, but was a lovely sky and a nice end to another nice day. Back in the van on the way home, Daryl talked about his days of rugby playing and some good games his brothers have had (Gatch-dig out these videos for me to watch one day) I think the training was another reminder how much he misses everything rugby whilst he's focusing on Uni work in the short term, but hopefully not long until he's back in the game.

Back at Banana bungalow, we spent some time having a couple of beers in the hot tub, and chatted to the couple from before and a few other German girls who again manage to speak great English after a few sherbets (puts us to shame) they were debating on weather or not to do the volcano hike on Saturday as it's meant to be quite tiring. I told her not to worry, I'm sure she'd be fine, and if she got too tired, Daryl will carry her up the rest of the way (she's only a slight little thing, and he likes any extra phys!) she seemed quite happy with that, so come Saturday, I'll let you know if he's weighed down by a Camelbak or a German bird ?

Well, the beers and Mai Tais had wiped us out, it had been another LONG but wonderful day, so we decided to have a brew and head off to bed. The days here seem to last forever, it feels like we do so much in a day compared to back home when there never seems to be enough hours, and even then it's probably just to catch up on naff naff and trivia. These past few days have been such a welcome break, for me from all the politics and changes with work and for Daryl a rest from the studying he's been working so hard at these past few months. I had to laugh when I looked at the clock, for it wasn't even quite 9pm, but I was out like a light and didn't even drink my cuppa. Mr Slade-Jones was snoring equally just as quick. Thankfully it's the days we enjoy and appreciate, and really make the most of, as these are the memories we'll treasure and take home with us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb