More on Local Foods.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
May 2nd 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sculpture of Boy and a Seal.Sculpture of Boy and a Seal.Sculpture of Boy and a Seal.

Near Kapahulu Pier where lots of Body Board Surfers are.
Forgot to mention in my previous entry what "Kalua Pork" is. It originally was a whole pig gutted and buried in a pit of hot rocks and covered with banana leaves and earth for approximately 4 hours. The end result was succulant pork with a smoky flavor. A few years back however, the Board of Health prohibited the selling of commercial pork cooked in this manner. Now it's cooked in an oven and with the help of liquid smoke, it duplicates the flavor of the original quite well. "Poi" is a staple dish made from cooked taro which is mashed and mixed with water. Can't think of an equivalent Western dish that resembles it. Flavor is quite unique.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Entrance to Kings Alley.Entrance to Kings Alley.
Entrance to Kings Alley.

Shops and Restraunts constructed in old Hawaii style.
King KalakauaKing Kalakaua
King Kalakaua

Elected King 1874
Ilikai HotelIlikai Hotel
Ilikai Hotel

Look familiar? Think Hawaii 5-0.
Theo Davis Bldg.Theo Davis Bldg.
Theo Davis Bldg.

Old Honolulu Architecture
Louis Vutton.Louis Vutton.
Louis Vutton.

Behind is Bank of Hawaii Bldg. inspired by Pineapple.
Strange Tree.Strange Tree.
Strange Tree.

Don't know what kind of tree it is, but looks pre-historic, doesn't it?
Gandhi StatureGandhi Stature
Gandhi Stature

Fronting Banyan Trees.


2nd May 2006

Pictures are interesting.
I'd like to see a better description so one knows where to go to see those places in person. For instance, where is the White Building located or the statue of King Kalakaua. What's the story on him being "elected" king?
15th May 2006

The White Bldg. whose name or function I don't know is located on Merchant St. near the corner of Nuuanu Ave. next to the entrance of the Municipal Parking Lot and across the Kumu Kahua Theatre. The King Kalakaua Statue is located at the corner of Kalakaua Ave. and Kuhio Ave. across Keo's Thai Restraunt. King Kalakaua ran against Queen Emma who was more pro-Bristish while King Kalakaua leaned more towards the Americans. The legislature elected him King and his wife Kapiolani became Queen. There was almost a riot following so their was no big coronation. Nine years later inspired by his travels by pomp and grandeur of Monarchies around the world, held a elaborate coronation with hulas, fireworks, etc. for which in was in some circles critisizied for because of the heavy spending. He gained the name, The Merry Monarch. After his death in 1891, his sister, Lydia who changed her name to Queen Liliuokalani suceeded the throne, and who was overthrown in 1893 by a band of American Businessmen.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb