The (808): What a Blast!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
September 30th 2005
Published: October 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Made record time to SEA-TAC from Sammamish. Said 'Goodbye' to Herv and Karla, and we're off! We arrived in Honolulu on Fri. 09/23 to find an OXY welcoming party @ the airport. We quickly checked into the Sheraton Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki, and met up with some old friends from Occidental to celebrate our reunion, and Jason and Jenel's wedding. Ended up at some famous Korean BBQ joint named Sorabul and ate our heads off. We ate a lot to complement all of the beer and 'so-chu'. The 'so-chu' is a distinct and potent Korean wine - like Sake, that tastes like cucumbers and does damage like, well, its one-of-a-kind. After the dinner and drinks we all headed back to find the bride and groom, and their entourage, having some pre-nuptial fun in their complex of suites @ the Sheraton Waikiki. After that, well its a little hard to remember.
Woke up a little woozy on Saturday, and so did everyone else. Prior to the wedding we joined the OXY crew and piled into Carlos' rental SUV, on our way to the beach. 90 degrees and pure sunshine at Ala Moana Beach. A great beach, not far from Waikiki, where the crowd is predominantly local. There is a submerged reef 100 yards from the shore that you can swim to and just hang out on. Put it all together, and its quite a way to spend the day. Now, its back to the hotel to prepare for the nuptials.
The ceremony is held beach front @ the hotel; what a sight! Wedding begins at 5 o'clock sharp, and the ceremony is over by 5:15. Short and sweet: The BEST CEREMONY EVER! (No offense). On to the reception and the rest of the night. The whole affair was done wonderfully. From the toasts to the roasts, the bride and groom were so happy and grateful. We were lucky to be there! After that, well, what always happens after the receptions at weddings? More fun! And more fun, and more fun. The OXY crew traversed the hotel complex from our room to Dan and Candy's and back again. And there and back again. Then to the night club @ the hotel, and then back to the rooms. Finally ended up @ the bridal suite to finish the night with the joyous wedding party. Good Times!!
The next couple of days were spent reminiscing over the college days and the state of the world we live in. All of this while touring the island and taking in as much scenery as possible. From Kailua to the North Shore and Waimea Bay. What an incredible island! Can't forget all of the Korean BBQ, Shaved Ice, and Hawaiian Food we ate. Oh boy!
All in all, it was a great way to start our adventure. Thanks to all of the OXY crew for just being so fun (as, usual), and thanks most of all to Jason and Jenel, and their families for including us in such a great event! PEACE


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 14; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb