The Answer Is: The Byrds of Paradise, Lost, Baywatch Hawaii and North Shore. Resration Copy.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
November 30th 1999
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post



The Answer Is: The Byrds of Paradise, Lost, Baywatch Hawaii and North Shore.

Question: Name a few shows that were filmed at North Shore on Oahu? Which is incidentally the topic of this Blog, covering about a 30 mile length from the historic and colorful town of Haleiwa in the west to Turtle Bay Resort in Kuilima to the east. In between are mostly residential homes and agricultural industries in communities of Kawailoa, Sunset Beach, Waimea, Pupukea, Waialee and Kawela. Of course, the North Shore is instantly associated with monstrous waves, at least to the Locals here and the surfing community world-wide. However, on the day of my trip, the waves were rather small, so you won’t see much surfing photos today.

Haleiwa, which literally means “House of Iwa” (named of a frigate bird), was actually the name of a large luxury hotel built by millionaire Dillingham for wealthy guests from Honolulu and abroad, during the late 1800’s. Eventually the a town grew up around the hotel and took the name from the hotel. To put things in perspective for those not familiar with the island of Oahu; Honolulu the main populated urban center is located on the southernmost tip of the island, while the North Shore is located of course on the northern end about 70 miles away. So in those days of poor roads and very few cars, how and why would people travel so far to vacation, as horse and carriage was the main mode of transportation in those days and it was not very comfortable, I would imagine.

The answer is, Mr. Dillingham along with Mr. Campbell, another millionaire was responsible for the construction of a railway system that traveled from Honolulu, to Ewa, up the Waianae Coast, through Kaena Pt., on to Haleiwa and even on along the North Shore to the Sugar Mill in Kahuku. The guests thus traveled rather comfortably to the Haleiwa Hotel in a short period of time. Other uses for the railway were the transport of Sugar Cane and Pineapple and in the later years, military equipment. The railway system was discontinued in the late 1940’s and almost all traces of its existence have disappeared. How it’s was constructed and by whom is a mystery to me, though I’ve tried to do some research regarding this. One would think it would be Chinese Coolies as on the mainland, but this does not seem to be the case here. Some indication suggests it might have been by the military.

Today many of the original shops constructed in the style of that era still remains and newer ones are built using the same style. Many seem to cater to the surfing community of the North Shore as well as to tourists, with their souvenir shops and trendy restaurants. The Haleiwa Hotel has been demolished a long time ago. However, about 30 miles east, stands the luxurious Turtle Bay Resort, the only sizeable lodging option for those who wish to vacation on the North Shore.

Along this stretch are beautiful beaches with soft white sand, interesting surf action and lack the crowds of Waikiki and other beaches of the South Shores. The really deserted beaches however, which some may prefer may be behind the rows of residential homes. Right of ways through the residence may be a challenge to locate though, to those not familiar with the area as well as convinient parking. However, there are beaches fully accessible to the visitor with parking accessibility that is enjoyable, though not exactly deserted. Despite efforts by the Local to keep it “country”, the North Shore’s reputation has spread throughout the tourist network, and though lodging is sparse, traffic can be quite heavy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 116, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb