Another Quiet Day on Oahu


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
January 14th 2023
Published: January 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Hanauma Bay FishHanauma Bay FishHanauma Bay Fish

Just to prove we did snorkel and take photos underwater!!!
Aloha everyone again.

Really not much to report today and I’m serious about that!!

We decided to try to find the Bay on the North Shore that we had visited on a guided photo tour in 2014 where turtles were swimming close to the shore and where you could take photos really easily of them. We missed the correct spot on our circle island drive the other day and Joy really wanted to try to find the right spot.

But first we had to finish up a bit of ‘present’ shopping and apparently Walmart was the place to do that this time. So we googled Walmarts and found one near the Ala Moana mall so loaded the address into Tom and headed off. My favourite activity, of course, driving around the centre of Honolulu looking for parking areas attached to large shops with thousands of other drivers…….Anyway I tortured myself once again and we finally made it to the Walmart and eventually found a park in easy reach of the main entry.

One thing they do well over here is cater for those with a disability/mobility parking permit. Joy had packed her mobility permit and we have been able to use it heaps in Maui and here on Oahu and car parks everywhere have heaps of them available and we have made use of them all the time….haven’t missed finding one anywhere especially when visiting large stores or malls etc. Very handy indeed.

We did our business at Walmart and then ‘tried’ to head out to find the turtles at Laniakea Beach. We had found a town of that name but it wasn’t right on a beach but we loaded it into Tom and headed off. Long story short….we still haven’t found the turtles. None of the area rang any bells with us from our 2014 visit and people we asked couldn’t help us so we gave up, stopped with hundreds of others at a beach where the waves were big…photo attached..and then decided that as it was now 2pm we would head back into Hale’iwa for lunch.

That wasn’t far to drive and we found a nice restaurant for lunch.

By the time we finished eating and wandering around the shops at Hale’iwa we headed back into Honolulu and the hotel arriving back around 4.30pm.

Bit of a rest and a cold
Rugged North Shore Rugged North Shore Rugged North Shore

Big Waves near Laniakea
diet coke in the room before heading out for a walk along the beach front to take in the sunset…again…Joy did very well surviving the longest walk we have done so far. The sunset wasn’t all that photographic due to a layer of cloud that had come down but Joy was quite taken with the ‘after glow’ colours and I’ll include a couple of photos that she took…I thought they were very artistic with the beach front palm trees in the foreground.

After our long walk we decided we didn’t feel like going out for dinner as we’d had a decent lunch and we bought some bread rolls at the nearby ABC store, along with our yoghurt and toasted muesli for breakfast (they have it combined in a plastic container and we’ve had it every morning for breakfast along with a tea for Joy and hot chocolate for me made with an electric jug we had purchased at Walmart in Maui for $20 when our room there never had one…needed it even more here as the room has nothing at all) and headed back to our room for a quiet snack and quiet evening.

I’m sitting here writing this, while Joy reads her book lying on the bed, and an old Jack Reacher movie is going in the background…..sad eh!!!!

Told you it a ‘nothing to report day’ didn’t I but we still packed a bit into it. Might even be an early night tonight as we try to get a decent night’s sleep.

That’s us for another day so Mahalo from us….again….and trust that the rubbish weather has abated. Hope the disc golf tournament went OK at the farm Ryan.

Love to all the kids back home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 27; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb