Hawaii: American Style


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
August 11th 2014
Published: August 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The lawnThe lawnThe lawn

The lawn at Marriott Vacation Club at Ko' Olina.
Hawaii: American Style

This is my very first blog post - so please be kind!

My adult daughter and I visited Hawaii in January 2014 as a "graduation present" since she had just completed her studies at a college in the Midwest. I had visited Hawaii before and she had not so that gave us different perspectives on this particular trip. In using the term American Style, I am referring that part of us as Americans that want and crave the best experience for the best value. Here is a glimpse at that attempt. First on the list is how to get there from here, with here being the Midwest. After scouting out prices and convenience of airports, we chose to fly out of Indianapolis. The tickets were just under $600 R/T each and took us from Indy through Phoenix to Honolulu on US Airways. This turned out be a good deal for us and while not overly luxurious it was a very efficient way to travel. By flying from Indy we saved about $250 per ticket from other locations. I have heard from other travelers who said that $600 is a great price for the roundtrip these days. Next is where to stay! We we able to stay through a friend of a friend at the Marriott Vacation Club resort at Ko' Olina on Oahu. We paid roughly $1000 for 7 nights which is an extraordinary deal! Needless to say the resort was wonderful and we also liked that we had the "seclusion" of a resort and could still get to Waikiki Beach in about 20 minutes depending on traffic. Waikiki is very nice but very crowded and things like parking and beach access can be a headache. So it was great to visit Waikiki but be able to get out of there and get back to Ko' Olina! We took a day trip over to Maui to see the sunrise on Mt. Haleakla, another great experience for the price. About $300 total for the flights (on Hawaiian Air) and a rental car. For my daughter, this was the best part of the trip. For me, the Marriott at Ko' Olina was the best. Yes, we did the LuAu - it was fantastic! All in all, a wonderful way to enjoy a much earned graduation present!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb